Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th April 2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Rivkin

Default dances with sabres :)

Couple of subjects:
http://www.badongo.net/vid/102226/1
(wait until it says "download" on the top of the page, than press the "download" button).
Dance with kindjals. I really like the way in the end one of the dancers goes on his knees around kindjals, while still throwing them.

http://bpg.sytes.net/spinnerkings/fi....asp?FileID=59
Mixture of traditional and stage fighting. I guess some moves make you feel you see butchers at work, but some are quite realistic.

Last edited by Rivkin; 30th April 2006 at 06:24 PM.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2006, 07:16 PM   #2
ariel

Kirill, many thanks for the links!
They are gorgeous!
It is interesting to see how martial arts were translated into dancing: a lot of both is accomplished with one or both knees on the ground. Early European travelers to the Caucasus described training fencing exercises and specifically noticed that point.
Also, the part on fencing with a shashka in the second link explains in part why this weapon had no crossguard: the style was totally different and any obstacle to twisting the sword in 3 dimensions and passing it from one hand to another would have impeded the routine.
On the other hand, the Khevsuri fight with a palash and a shield was an example of more "Western" style of fencing. Not for nothing they thought their ancestors were crusaders.
Beautiful country.....
My only question: where do the white "leggings" come from (first link)? I do not recall seeing leggings in any illustration of Caucasian clothes. Poetic license?
Once again, many thanks for the wonderful links.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Ferguson

Wow. That's outstanding.

Thanks Rivkin.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 09:47 PM   #4
Rivkin

Thanx a lot. I was also puzzled by the fur leggings. Don't know what to say - it may be something "unnatural".
Old 6th May 2006, 10:07 PM   #5
Emanuel

Hello,
Many thanks for the movies, the dances are definitely impressive. The first does a great job of demonstrating kindjal throwing -which was discussed on this forum a long time ago. Did fighters traditionally wear so many knives on them or is this just for the show?

The man with the shashka is outstanding. I've never seen a shashka up-close or held one, but I imagine they are top heavy. Could this fighting style be applied to other swords as well, namely the berber flyssa? I had always thought that such swords with their long blades and small handles make good "swingers" and this movie really show it.
Manolo
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 01:00 AM   #6
ariel

Kirill, I have watched it 10 times already.
Do you have any more of the same?
BTW, do you know of any good Georgian historical movies (with a lot of swordfights, blood and gore)?
Any plans to make a movie out of "The Great Mouravi"?
That would be a smash!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgi_Saakadze
Guys, can you imagine a more fantastic life?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Rivkin

Thanx a lot, glad you liked it. Sorry for not replying earlier, I was trying to establish some contacts with "their side", but it seems that they are not very eager to cooperate. May be they don't speak with non-tenured peasants like me, may be something else. Well, I will try to speak to couple of american professors who have some knowledge on the subject.

This is one of the things when having fellowship with big names on top would help us to mount connections with museums/universities.