Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th March 2005, 02:37 PM   #1
Antonio Cejunior

Default A sociological and anthropological question

Greetings all,

I have been wanting to ask these apparently banale questions, but I am sure you will not take me wrongly, but will understand my own wish to understand others views.
Therefore please do take these questions as motivated by the acknowledgement that we all live in different circumstances (I subscribe to the notion that we are actual a circumstance by nature, cultural and social environment) which prompt us to have different reasons.

Question 1
What is the real driving force behind your interest in swords? Was it initially based on an adult interest for ethnography and anthropology or was it originally based on and evolution from childhood or adolescent fantasy?

Question 2
Is your particular interest in ethnographic weapons based on any specific reason?
a. such as being a national of the country from where those weapons are originated?
b. if not, what particular reasons are behind your attraction?

Question 3
In some tribes of Africa, smiths are outcasts that live outside the village.
They are uncircumcised, therefore they posses both the masculine and the feminine, symbolically having the entirety which confers them, as in the Congo culture, the necessary protection to work iron, a product of Mother Earth's womb extraction.
This being said, some shapes may have a magical connotation. And I am referring specifically to the Kris, be it Indonesian, Malay or Philippino.
My question is divided into the following:
  • does the snake preside over its shape?
  • if that is true, does it mean to confer speed or just magic or some other meaning?
  • what is the meaning of the word kris?
I thank you for your contribution to my enlightment, gentlemen.
Best regards.
Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote