Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 4th May 2020, 04:29 AM   #1
JustYS

Default Pamor Questions

Dear all,

I have couple of questions regarding Keris that has more than one pamor:

- Are there any technical limitations on how many pamor a Keris can have?
- Are there any technical limitations or conventional constraints on which type of pamor can be made together (i.e. miring with miring?, mlumah with mlumah?)

Cheers,
JustYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 10:24 PM   #2
A. G. Maisey

In respect of technical limitations the only limitations I can think of are the skill of the smith. The process is simply pattern welding.

In respect of cultural limitations the limiting factors are whether we have a different pamor (only one motif) on each side of a blade, or whether we have multiple motifs on both sides of the blade.

In the first option of a blade with, say, wos wutah on one side and bendo sagodo on the other side, we have pamor tangkis, "tangkis" means to defend against, parry, ward off. Pamor tangkis is believed to be a defence against black magic, a shield, if you will.

In the case of multiple motifs, the number of motifs should always be odd, and should be understood to reflect the same hierarchical symbolism as the number of luk in a blade.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 12:10 AM   #3
jagabuwana

in the case of pamor tangkis, is the execution a matter of making two pattern-welded laminations, and then welding the two laminations together?
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 02:27 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Make a billet of wos wutah sufficient for both blade faces, insert steel core between them, weld, surface manipulate one blade face to produce udan mas or bendo sagodo or wiji timun or whatever, finish the blade.
Old 5th May 2020, 03:53 AM   #5
JustYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
In respect of technical limitations the only limitations I can think of are the skill of the smith. The process is simply pattern welding.

In respect of cultural limitations the limiting factors are whether we have a different pamor (only one motif) on each side of a blade, or whether we have multiple motifs on both sides of the blade.

In the first option of a blade with, say, wos wutah on one side and bendo sagodo on the other side, we have pamor tangkis, "tangkis" means to defend against, parry, ward off. Pamor tangkis is believed to be a defence against black magic, a shield, if you will.

In the case of multiple motifs, the number of motifs should always be odd, and should be understood to reflect the same hierarchical symbolism as the number of luk in a blade.
Thank you for your explanations Alan.

Regarding your last paragraph may I ask further clarifications?

So for example a Keris with 2 pamors (i.e. ron genduru and wengkon) on both sides of the blades is considered outside the cultural constraints because the number of motifs in only 2 (even number)?

Or is ron genduru and wengkon considered as 1 pamor only?

Thank you
Old 5th May 2020, 05:53 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

My understanding is that a pamor that incorporates a wengkon is a single motif.
Old 6th May 2020, 01:42 AM   #7
JustYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
My understanding is that a pamor that incorporates a wengkon is a single motif.
Noted and thank you Alan