Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th March 2014, 01:28 PM   #1
colin henshaw

Default West African sword/cutlass

Hi

Here is one of those cross-cultural weapons that I quite like, and some forumites might be interested to see.

The blade seems to be re-worked from a European machete ? What I like best about the sword is the finely made hilt.

Comments are welcome, also any references as to origins/influences etc. If anyone has comparable pieces, do please post them...
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Colin,

nice sword! I like how they have used the nails at the handle.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 07:29 PM   #3
Iain

The blade style and hilt strike me as being Dahomey or Benin related?

A very attractive item Colin, congrats. The leather work on the scabbard is also of interest, I have one takouba with very similar patterning.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Colin, I agree that the blade looks like a reworked machete blade possibly one by Robert Mole. The shallow fuller looks right for some of the WWII examples that I have seen. This does have a great looking hilt. The use of twisted wire held by small staples and what looks to be hobnails holding the steel pommel pieces in place really sets the whole hilt off. Then to top it off it still has the original leather scabbard. Great catch.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 04:25 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A VERY INTERESTING HANDLE AND NICELY DONE. I HAVE SEEN VARIOUS MACHETE BLADES USED BUT NEVER A HANDLE LIKE THIS ONE. I LIKE IT IT APPEARS 4 PIECES OF METAL TUBING BENT AROUND THE POMMEL WITH 4 NAILS DRIVEN THRU THE DRILLED TUBING AND THEN BENT OVER AND DRIVEN IN, A DIFFICULT TRICK. I WOULD THINK IT SORT OF CORESPONDS TO A FIST AS I SEE 4 FINGERS, PERHAPS THE THUMB IS INSIDE THE IRON FIST. THE WIRE WORK IS NICE TOO WHAT DOES THE WIREWORK ON THE POMMEL LOOK LIKE.
IT APPEARS THE 4 PIECES OF STEEL OR IRON ARE SOLID AND FORGED FOR THE HANDLE RATHER THAN USING TUBEING WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN EASIER. THE WEIGHT OF THE HANDLE SHOULD BALANCE THE BLADE.

Last edited by VANDOO; 14th March 2014 at 01:48 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 09:51 AM   #6
colin henshaw

Thanks to those who have commented on this sword so far. Here is an image of the wirework at the end of the hilt.

The way the inside of the grip has been carved, with the wire wrapped round, reminds me a bit of European military swords. Am I correct in saying these copper or brass plugs in the blade have a talismanic significance ?

The profile of the blade is a little similar to Benin/Dahomey swords, as mentioned by Iain, perhaps that is a clue to area of origin ?

Regards.
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote