Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st March 2005, 07:07 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default spirit weapons

This an old piece you can see that the stone has worn.I have had it tested and it proves to be nephrite not jade as such, but not micky mouse.82mm long Chinese and something to do with wisdom and purity.I am waiting for all you far eastern fans to tell me more.Tim
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2005, 11:46 PM   #2
Montino Bourbon

Nephrite is a type of jade, and some think that it is no less valuable than Jadeite, the "other jade", as it were.

The seven circles united by a line can sometimes be interpreted as the "seven stars", a reference to the pleiades. The circles united by lines are a common oriental symbol for stars. I include a pic of a tsuba that I have on my favorite sword, a japanese sword that I particularly like. On that, the silver dots are obviously in the shape of the big dipper, and the sword-blade-shaped symbol is thought to represent a comet. If there are experts in astronomy they could tell the year that a comet passed by the last star of the big dipper. The Tsuba in question is quite old and massive. I bought it separately from the sword and put it on there.
Attached Images

Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2005, 07:53 AM   #3
Tim Simmons

Nice, I have seen brass inlay dots joined by engraved lines on large bladed Chinese weapons.Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote