Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th November 2005, 03:34 PM   #1
ariel

Default Spotting a "time-traveling" Russian sword

Recently, there was a proliferation of Russian Imperial swords on e-bay with an inscription "Za Khrabrost"(For gallantry) and an order of St. Anne 4th class attached somewhere to the handle. As compared to the same swords without the order, the decorated ones command double or triple prices.
I long wondered why were there so many of them? Did it mean that most Russian troops were exceptional heroes(kind of Lake Wobegon army where everybody is above average)?
Here is the story:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
All looks very ordinary: the order is very intact and shiny and the inscription is deep. I do not know the pattern of this dagger, but it is kind of strange it does not bear any Imperial symbol such as double-headed eagle.
And then comes a clinch. The quillon is stamped with "Slava Moskva" (Glory Moscow). Slava is a name of a descendant of the 2nd Watch factory that was established in the 1940s. It was renamed Slava in the 1970s and manufactured parade daggers for the entire Soviet military as well as for the armies of the Warsaw Pact. At that time Russian empire was about 50 years gone.....
I sent a note to this effect to the seller when the auction was still active but got no reply. An anonymous buyer paid $1,400... End of story.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 06:21 PM   #2
Rivkin

Well, even Michael Jackson got a shashka "for bravery", so I guess these guys are somewhat available .

But this fake is actually something I fear way more than chinese - a single guy in eastern europe who decides to cook up some antiquities from spare parts can do way more damage than all chinese with their "damascus" nihonto, wildly burned by acid.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 06:42 PM   #3
Freddy

Arrow

I don't know anything about these daggers, but the blade of the one you showed resembles the blade of a French Lebel bajonet (1886-1915).
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 11:08 PM   #4
Miyamoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivkin
Well, even Michael Jackson got a shashka "for bravery", so I guess these guys are somewhat available .

But this fake is actually something I fear way more than chinese - a single guy in eastern europe who decides to cook up some antiquities from spare parts can do way more damage than all chinese with their "damascus" nihonto, wildly burned by acid.
Michael Jackson ia verry brave man. He was seen in court with an extremely rare serbian bravery order around his neck - The White Eagle order with swords, III class, around his neck, about a year ago

Last edited by Miyamoto; 15th November 2005 at 07:59 AM.
Miyamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 11:45 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Let us leave the subject of 'The Gloved One' behind us Gentleman .
Hardly worth discussing here , eh ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote