Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st July 2005, 04:23 PM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile 18 CENTURY RUSSIAN ARISTOCRATS DAGGER

HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF A RUSSIAN DAGGER SAID TO HAVE BEEN MADE IN THE 18 CENTURY IN THE CITY OF TULA FOR RUSSIAN ARISTOCRATS. IT IS 10 3/4 IN TOTAL IN SCABBARD, HAS A DAMASCUS BLADE, THE HANDLE IS MADE OF AGATE AND IS SET WITH RUBIES, TURQUOISE AND GARNETS. THERE IS ALSO GOLD SILVER AND ENAMEL USED, THERE IS A SMALL BUST OF A TURKS HEAD AND A SILVER LOCKET WITH GOLD GILT. ALSO NOT MINE
ENJOY
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Bill

very nice blade, I wonder if the single "gem" on the pommel is amber?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 04:35 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

I SUSPECT THE STONE IN THE POMMEL IS A GARNET AND THAT THE OTHER RED STONES ARE MATCHING PIGEON BLOOD RUBIES. AS I DON'T HAVE THE ITEM IN HAND I CAN ONLY GO BY LOOK AND COLOR AND WHAT WAS GIVEN IN ITS DESCRIPTION.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 04:53 PM   #4
ham

Vandoo,

This is a nice example but likelier Hungarian work in the neoclassical style of the latter 19th century than Russian. Such weapons were popular at the Hungarian court along with elaborate sabers, belts and even pseudo-medieval dress, all of which was intended to emphasize and promote the distinct nature of Hungarian ethnicity. The Oriental motifs, use of gilding and enamels and semiprecious stones (as well as glass) are typical. Incidentally, the expression "gold gilded" is redundant-- an item simply is "gilded" or "silvered." The sharkskin covering on the scabbard is nice, sorry to see the tip is replaced.
Incidentally, I came across a very well-researched and objective article online on the subject of Vlad Tepes. I don't recall the author's name but I believe I have seen it on this forum. Kudos for that.

Sincerely,

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote