Default Another keris

Comments? Identification?
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 02:48 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I'll take a wild guess and say it's Madurese work.
Would like to see the entire blade; also the sarong looks older than the wilah, but maybe that's just the glue line I can see that makes me think so.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 08:55 AM   #3
Jean

Yes, the blade looks like from Madura Sumenep (the winged horse), and is probably recent. I saw some blades with similar decoration but covered with gold kinatah and not pierced through. The putut motif under the kembang kacang is an odd addition (not Madurese).
The warangka is in gayaman Solo style and the hilt in Ganesha style from Java North Coast (Tegal).
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 05:36 PM   #4
francantolin

Really beautiful !!!
Hilt and blade !!!!
francantolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 06:33 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Yes, the blade looks like from Madura Sumenep (the winged horse), and is probably recent. I saw some blades with similar decoration but covered with gold kinatah and not pierced through. The putut motif under the kembang kacang is an odd addition (not Madurese).
The warangka is in gayaman Solo style and the hilt in Ganesha style from Java North Coast (Tegal).
If you look closely you can see that this blade did indeed once carry kinatah that has since fallen away. But i tend to agree with Jean that this seems to be a contemporary blade, although it would be helpful in any assessment, especially one that we only have photos to go by, to include images of the entire blade as well. I suppose it is also possible that the blade is somewhat older, but with contemporary recarving at the base and gonjo. Hard to tell exactly with just the close-up images.
This is indeed an mix of origins. While the sheath probably was not made for this blade, it seems to have been well adapted to it. Hard to say the actual reasons for the mix of styles.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 10:10 PM   #6
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
If you look closely you can see that this blade did indeed once carry kinatah that has since fallen away. But i tend to agree with Jean that this seems to be a contemporary blade, although it would be helpful in any assessment, especially one that we only have photos to go by, to include images of the entire blade as well. I suppose it is also possible that the blade is somewhat older, but with contemporary recarving at the base and gonjo. Hard to tell exactly with just the close-up images.
This is indeed an mix of origins. While the sheath probably was not made for this blade, it seems to have been well adapted to it. Hard to say the actual reasons for the mix of styles.

Why not? Add a few more pictures.
Attached Images

Old 11th December 2018, 01:40 AM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Bill. It would still be helpful to have one photo showing the full keris in order to get a better feel for the Pawakan, the over all impression of the blade.
Old 11th December 2018, 03:02 AM   #8
Green

if this is a painting I'd guess we can categorize it as 'pop art'... my opinion only.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 09:17 AM   #9
Jean

A very decorative blade anyway, I will check if I can find the pics of the similar blades which I mentioned. Regarding the traces of kinatah on the ganja, I cannot say for this piece but I have found that it is often a trick used by some sellers for enhancing the value of the blades.
Regards

Last edited by Jean; 11th December 2018 at 09:44 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 11:38 AM   #10
Bill M

Quote:
Thanks Bill. It would still be helpful to have one photo showing the full keris in order to get a better feel for the Pawakan, the over all impression of the blade.
I couldn't find a full length picture in my files. Will take one later.
Old 11th December 2018, 01:21 PM   #11
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Regarding the traces of kinatah on the ganja, I cannot say for this piece but I have found that it is often a trick used by some sellers for enhancing the value of the blades.
I would not be the least bit surprised Jean. This is obviously recent work (at least the carving), so one might wonder how all that kinatah could get worn off in a relatively short period of time. It is the type of work that is meant for accepting kinatah though.
While i would not myself consider "re-doing" the gold work Bill, the one thing i might do to this ensemble if it were mine would be to fix the bad glue job on the sheath. Should not be too difficult a job.

Last edited by David; 20th December 2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 20th December 2018, 03:07 PM   #12
Bill M

Default Horse Keris

Quote:

David, the pictures are from my archives for insurance. I just found the full blade. Sorry it is low resolution but the only blade I have found
Attached Images

Old 20th December 2018, 03:46 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Bill. That is good enough to give us an over all view of the dhapur.