Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 2nd October 2014, 06:49 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default The matchcord and its pros and cons

Having become the proud owner of half meter matchcord from the end XV-beg.XVI centuries, i decided to keep it from imponderables in an acrylic box, tagged with a silver plaque.
While searching the Portuguese Net for the better name of matchcord in military lexicon, i spotted this episode that took place during the Restoration War which, in the context, i thought it would be interesting for members perusal:

" The problem of matchlock firearms was the necessity of transporting the lit match, in the form to provoke the ignition of the gunpowder and do the shot. When the enemy intended to be ambushed in the night or in obscure zones, the lit match could denounce the soldiers who were preparing such surprise. As a matter of fact, a stratagem known, destined to deceive the adversary in the night, was to leave lit match in a place – for example, behind fences or bush – with the purpose to attract the enemy fire, making it easier to punish them with a round of gunfire from another position, without giving them time to re-load their weapons or other reaction. An example of this is told by Aires Varela in 1644 "

(…) enviou desta cidade o coronel Til [Jan Willem van Til, holandês] com o seu regimento, e a Luís Mendes de Vasconcelos, para que em Campo Maior, com o capitão João de Saldanha da Gama, passassem a Vilar del Rey, fizessem emboscada e dano que pudessem; ordenou que na madrugada de 9 de Fevereiro, em que se havia de fazer, tocassem arma viva em Valverde, para o inimigo mandar pedir socorro a Badajoz, e obrar emboscada em Vilar del Rey sem risco. De Olivença passaram áquele lugar alguns soldados, e junto dele, por entre o arvoredo maquieiro e outro mato baixo, puseram quantidade de mechas acesas; e tocando arma, se meteu o Castelhano em confusão, e a nossa gente em lugar seguro. O inimigo correu às trincheiras, descobriu as mechas, e parecendo-lhe gente de guerra deu contra elas muitas cargas; os nossos, seguros, as festejavam, e em amanhecendo se retiraram, e os Castelhanos descobriram a travessura e se acharam corridos.

A poor translation from the old Portuguese would be:

(…) Sent from this city colonel Til [Jan Willem van Tilde, Dutch] with his regiment, and Luís Mendes de Vasconcelos, so that in Campo Maior, with captain João de Saldanha da Gama, they would pass Vilar del Rey, to set up ambush and the most damage they could; he ordered that in the dawn of the 9th of February, as it should be done, active shooting was put up in Valverde, so that the enemy would send for help in Badajoz, the ambush in Vilar del Rey taking no risk. From Olivença some soldiers passed to that place, and close to it, between the dense trees and other low bush, they placed a number of lit matchcord; and calling to arms, the enemy got involved in confusion, with our people at safe place. The enemy ran to the trenches, saw the lit matchcord and, this seeming to be people of war, threw over many fire discharges; while ours, knowing tey were safe, were celebrating them, and by dawn they withdrew, while the adversaries, finding out the mischief, realized they were deceived.

I bet this strategy was often used by both parts as also in other wars where else.

-
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 2nd October 2014 at 07:20 PM.
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Congratulations on your latest important acquisition, Nando!

You're sure taking good care of that mecha, I see; nevertheless, may I recommend purchasing a safe and builduing a bank vault around that juwel of twisted hemp, half a millennium years old?

I got about 8 meters of matchcord; o.k., of the rarest and earliest 500 year-old thick kind, I only got about 3.1 meters left. I guess I must have lost a length of it within the last week - still got enough to keep alight for decades to come ...-
They just hang around in my Late Gothic/Early Renaissance sacristy cupboard of ca. 1540, which I bought at a Munich auction house for only 200 DM (100 euro) 17 years ago!

Am I too dewy-eyed?

But then: I got more than 50 big bore guns, after all - plus a 500 year-old real cannon.
So I should trust to be able and defend myself, just in case they some burglars want to rid me of that precious though stinking old stuff that keeps crumbling away
more and more each day, with little pieces coming off, every time I touch it.

It doesn't matter though; that's just the way hemp has been all the time, and there's still a lot of it there.

O.k., I must admit that of the rarest and earliest 500 year-old thick kind, I only got about 3.1 meters left.
I guess I must have lost a length of it within the last week - still got enough to keep alight for decades to come ...

The bottom attachment depicts them when they were up for auction at Sotheby's in December 2004, coming right from Schloss Frondsberg in Styria.

When you come and see me in spring you may get a chance, in a twinkle of an eye, when I'm too drunk from that sweet port you're bringing in big(bore!)) barrels, and fell half asleep, to cut off a length of my (much thinner) 16th-17th matchcord bundles as well ...

The Michael Trömner Collection
is looking forward to welcoming you!

Best wishes as ever,
your friend
Michl

Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 2nd October 2014 at 09:49 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Marcus den toom

Don't give him any idea's Michl... Nando is crafty enough to even snatch one of black beard's beard matches

Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 05:02 PM   #4
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
...O.k., I must admit that of the rarest and earliest 500 year-old thick kind, I only got about 3.1 meters left.
... I guess I must have lost a length of it within the last week -
Tell me where about and i will go look for it

Quote:
... When you come and see me in spring you may get a chance, in a twinkle of an eye, when I'm too drunk from that sweet port you're bringing in big bore barrels,
What; do you think i am a wine producer ?

Quote:
... and fell half asleep, to cut off a length of my (much thinner) 16th-17th matchcord bundles as well ...
Just you wait
Old 3rd October 2014, 05:05 PM   #5
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus den toom
Don't give him any idea's Michl... Nando is crafty enough to even snatch one of black beard's beard matches :cool...
Have a good look to the man, Marcus; can't you see he is my great, great grandfather ?
Do you think i would be able to rob my ancestors ?
Old 3rd October 2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

[QUOTE=Marcus den toom]Don't give him any idea's Michl... Nando is crafty enough to even snatch one of black beard's beard matches

Oh Marcus,

With an arsenal of weapons like mine - how could I be afraid of a lousy copy of a blackbearded warrior pretendin' to be a "pirate", and swingin' what to me looks like Mickey Mouse blunderbusses, rather than flintlock pistols ... pffhhh ...

Ain't afraid o' no Portuguese guy whatsoever either, no matter how many handcannons he got .. Does he think he can stand up against a Bavarian man-at- and of-arms?!

Let him come over here, let's get at it - and let's get it sorted out like ... well, the bighmouts we actually are!

Best,
m
Old 3rd October 2014, 07:24 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Tell me where about and i will go look for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando

Has that cheap port you're bathin' blinded your eyes - over there, at the far-out edge of Europe, near the ocean where the world ends?
I posted extra large images, large 'nough even for you to see - can'tcha tell the thicker from the thinner cord?!

You won’t be given the slightest chance to cut off a millimeter of my 16th and 17th c. bundles of matchcord!

What; do you think i am a wine producer ?

I better hope you're not ...

As I told you, I'm not expectin' to git nuthin' less than a 500 gallon oaken barrel salvaged from the wreck of the Santa Maria, reserved for, and signed by, Christopher Columbus himself!

Just you wait
No, YOU better wait, buddy!

Worse - no: BADDER! - than ever,
Bad bad Michl Blond..., hmm, alright, Whitebeard

Well - all I really wanted to do is say
A GREAT BIG THANKS
FOR A GREAT BIG FRIENDSHIP!
IT WILL LAST FOREVER.
You and Jim kept ringing me up in every hospital they were taking my bowels out at the moment.
I'll never forget that - among many other fine memories.
Jim, are you there?
Please do get in touch with me!

Looking forward to receiving - and gulping right down my now missing bowels! - your 3 milliliters of Portuguese port coming my way tomorrow,
and
Thanks a whole lot!

Your friend
Michl/Miguel

Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 3rd October 2014 at 11:31 PM.