Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th March 2006, 06:18 PM   #1
jmayer

Default Ottoman Turkish Dagger

Hello,
I am new to the list and am looking for information or referals to who I could contact for information about a dagger I got in Dyarbakir, Turkey. It was said to be Ottoman, and I was told it was "300 years old." I had an Arabic literate friend translate blade stampings which are in classic Arabic. One side had the obligatory, "There is no God but God. Mohammad is the Prophet of God." And the other side has the Ottoman seal and what appears to be a serial number, "852" and also a date which is "133 Hidjri." This would be the dating system starting from our AD year 622. So 622 + 133 would be 755 AD. I suggested there might be a fourth illegible digit besides the "133" but my Arabic friend could see no sign of this even with a magnifier. Adding one thousand years would put the age at closer to the "1700's" as claimed.

The blade is straight, sharpened on both sides, with a bronze hilt and bronze sheath. I could send .jpg photos if anyone would be interested in looking at them.

John
Attached Images

Last edited by jmayer; 4th March 2006 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Add photos
jmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Valjhun

Welcome to the forum!

It would be nice if you post some pictures Just click Manage attachemnts and follow up.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 10:17 PM   #3
jmayer

Default Photos Added

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valjhun
Welcome to the forum!

It would be nice if you post some pictures Just click Manage attachemnts and follow up.
Done. Sorry! I was too iliterate to know I could do that. JM
jmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 11:41 PM   #4
erlikhan

it is Turkish, correct. but not 300 years old. it is from 1330 hicri calendar, which means 1915 or 16. a standard Ottoman military issued dagger named "enveriye".was used in ww1.Yours doesnt have a better condition than most of the samples I have seen till now. I wonder its price cost to you, but as it is forbidden to mention price in the discussion forum,I request you to send me a private message so that I can tell you if yours is cheap or not.
regards
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote