Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th July 2014, 12:32 PM   #1
colin henshaw

Default Sahel lances

Hi

Here are a couple of new acquisitions forumites might like to see - two long spears or lances, probably from the Sahel area ? Judging from their length, maybe for use on horseback ?

Can anyone help to pin down their area of origin more accurately and/or provide further information ? Any useful references would also be of help. Should anyone have comparable examples do please post them...
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Iain

Hi Colin,

I'd attribute both to North Nigeria or Cameroon. The ones I have are similar to the second one you show and the butt cap also reminds me strongly of brass work from that region. Adamawa etc.

See http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15391 which includes a scan from waffen aus zentral-afrika.

Both you show are very nice examples! I am quite jealous.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 12:28 PM   #3
colin henshaw

Hi Iain

Many thanks for your comments and link, glad you like the lances. Never saw that type of brasswork to the butt before.

I would like to highlight another interesting feature to one lance - there is a small copper inlay to the tip, per attached images. Do you think this is to fill a flaw in the metal or could it have some sort of talismanic meaning ??

Regards.
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Iain

Hi Colin,

Usually the brass inserts I've seen seem quite obvious and carefully done round dots. This looks a little more like a repair? Perhaps filling in a forging flaw?
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote