Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th August 2005, 03:35 AM   #1
Aurangzeb

Question Iranian Dagger/NEED TRANSLATION

Hello All!

I recently got this Iranian tourist knife because it has the split blade design and my Islmaic collection lacks pieces from Iran. It is of moderate quality, the materials are plastic beads, wood black paint, steel chain, tin or poor quality silver. All the decorations are glued on. The blade is actually tempered steel ans is chromed. But I whould like someone to translate the Farsi incription PLEASE! i Tried but failed gloriously. I can provide closups if needed. Any comments or translations are welcome and wanted!

Mark...
Attached Images

Aurangzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2005, 04:37 AM   #2
fearn

Closeups of the symbols might be useful.....
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2005, 05:33 AM   #3
afroarabian

Default Iranian Dagger/NEED TRANSLATION

The dagger is shaped in a similar fashion (v shape) to the sword of Ali Ibn Abi Talib (raa), the cousin of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh). The engravment is not very clear, but it has the name ALI written on it 3 times. The Shiites are extremely fond of Ali (raa), that is probably why they replicate the dagger in that way.
afroarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2005, 10:00 AM   #4
Aqtai

I need a close up of the blade, I can only make out the first few words.

They say "la fata illa 'Ali", which is Arabic and translates roughly as "there is no youth except 'Ali". It sounds like some kind of Shi'i prayer or invocation.
Aqtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2005, 02:05 AM   #5
Aurangzeb

Default Closeup Digital Pix Of Dagger Inscription

Greetings To All !

I've attached four digital pix of closeups of the inscriptions on my dagger, hopefully this will be of assistance to those of you who may be able to assist me in translating it's inscription, which I would very much appreciate !

Thank you all in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide !

Sincerely,

Mark....
Attached Images

Old 29th August 2005, 09:06 AM   #6
Aqtai

The whole inscription reads "la fata illa 'Ali La seyf illa dhu-l-feqqar 'Ali 'Ali".

It's in Arabic and translates roughly as "there is no youth except Ali, there is no sword except Dhu-l-feqqar, Ali, Ali". Dhu-l-feqqar was one of the swords of the prophet Muhammad which (I think) was later inherited by the Prophet's cousin Ali ibn Abi-Taleb.

It sounds like some kind of Shi'i battle cry. It's a variation on the traditional Muslim shehada; "la ilaha illa Allah". Which means "there is no god except God".
Aqtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2005, 03:49 AM   #7
Aurangzeb

Hello Aqtai!

Thank you for the translation. This dagger is starting to seem less of a tourist dagger and more of a ceriomnial dagger. Can you also translate the inscription closest to the hilt that looks like it might be a makers mark please.

Mark...