Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th January 2016, 01:25 AM   #1
Marcus

Default Where in Africa

This just in from e-bay. The leather lacing decays as I handle it and the Cowries are coming loose. There probably were many more originally can anyone help me place its origin?
Attached Images

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 03:50 PM   #2
Helleri

I don't know what that is on the handle (looks like raw hide, but from what I couldn't say). And on the sheath...could be young (like hatchling or yearling) crocodile skin. Stretched and really dried out. But I could see it being that. Just my opinion though (I ain't one of those old dog NAFHA guys who can sometimes tell you species and even locality based off a small sample).

Now as for care. I would snip the lace and pull the lace off with small pair of scissors and tweezers (don't just tug and snap it off just because it's brittle, you can snag on a possibly still tough part and rip the skin). Then soak the skin in a 1:2 ratio of Glycerine and Water. You can re-lace it once it's been re-hydrated with Calf Lace and some lacing needles. It's a simple cross stitch (if at all confused about how to there are plenty of easy to follow leather lacing tutorial vids on youtube).

If you look around online enough, it shouldn't cost you more then $30 for smaller roll of calf/leather lace in the right color, the needles, and a several ounce bottle of Glycerine. But you'll end up with a lot more left over then you need for the one project if you choose to go the preservation route.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 07:22 PM   #3
Marcus

Default From a friend who spent many years in Africa

"This dagger is Central - West African,
From the hilt it looks like its from the Goran or the Tubu of eastern Niger, central to north Western Chad.
It has the Toubu markings on the blade, The cowery shells (a relic of West African currency prior to the 1930s) is decorative, but places it more west than central Africa. The scabbard it interesting because it has both regular cured leather and iguana, or snake skin. I think it is igana or some kind of lizard. Places it again more in the West Africa.
But the hilt is not typically Fula. More Toubo or one of the desert tribes. it looks nicely weathered, and maybe restiched at a later date. the stitching is likely leather made from the intestines of a goat, or sheep. Its a working mans dagger. It is not Tuareg. Its not Sar, its looks Toubu."
Old 14th January 2016, 12:50 AM   #4
Helleri

Iguanas are from the Americas. Mostly South America, but there are two species as far north as Southern California (the Desert Iguana and the Chuckwalla). Point being that they are not native to Africa.

Also snakes largely have imbricate keeled cyloid top scales. Their ventral scales are always much larger then show here and are primarily single column. Separate and rectangular scales are more of a lizard thing.

The thing is while they are neatly organized. They are separate rectangular and not mucronate. Which makes me think not a monitor lizard. And you can see that on some individual scales are these small ridges running the same direction as the long axis of the scale...Those things combined makes me think crocodile (picture it as re-hydrated and not all stretched out or smoothed down from handling). And for the area of the world that may be likely. I could be wrong. But if you google image search "Hatchling Crocodile" you will see small well ordered separate rectangular scales, with tiny ridges in the right direction, and even the random black on tan speckling is right.

Last edited by Helleri; 14th January 2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 15th January 2016, 12:41 PM   #5
Marcus

Default Another Tubu (Tebu) dagger

A gift from a friend, collected when he was working in Chad.
Attached Images

Old 15th January 2016, 08:29 PM   #6
Helleri

The Handle and the top of the scabbard looks like croc as well (again young). The tip of the scabbard though...looks like snake.