Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 23rd March 2015, 05:05 AM   #1
CSinTX

Default A Morningstar

I was high bidder on this item in a recent auction. I have concerns about the fore spike being more recent. The side spikes have been hammered through with the small ends bent back in to the haft. The size and shape of the haft appears correct from my research. Any thoughts on it? 16th century?

http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.a...num=13&lang=En

Here is the auction description.- "Probably German, the round hardwood haft expanding to an octagonal head, studded with 20 handwrought spikes of square section entirely intact together with a long top spike, and copper ferrules. 16th century. Well worn. Overall length 187 cm."

Once I get the item in hand I will post better pictures.

Thanks,
Casey
Attached Images

Last edited by dafunky1; 23rd March 2015 at 01:30 PM.
CSinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 10:32 PM   #2
M ELEY

This is an impressive and spectacular piece! A few years back, Fagan & Co. had some of these for a high price back in the day. They also had some kreigsickles. I love the medieval peasant tools! (Bohemian ear spoons, lochaber axes, etc). Just wanted to say that it is an attention-grabber and appears to have honest aging/patina. The top spike, as noted, perhaps later? Maybe it was better protected based on how it was stored or ? Is there any signs of old oil/pitch on it?
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 11:12 PM   #3
stekemest

Looks like a legit piece, the top spike doesn't look wrong to me either. 16th, maybe 17th century, although these were used much longer in rural areas. I think some of those are shown in Müller/Kölling, but I don't have my books at hand right now.
stekemest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 06:17 PM   #4
CSinTX

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, I was mistaken and did not end up the high bidder on this item. I did learn a lot in researching and will continue to look for another.
CSinTX is offline   Reply With Quote