Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th March 2011, 06:31 PM   #1
redeye

Default sikh battle helmet

HI all

Thisis my first post and i was wondering if some of the experts could shine some light on this piece as to the time period and origin, any help would be greatley appreciated

Thanks

[IMG]http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/attachment.php?
attachmentid=69537&stc=1[/IMG]
Attached Images

redeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 10:29 PM   #2
A Senefelder

This is a very nice example of a somewhat rare form, the more traditional spiked top khula khud being far more common. The riveted rather than butted mail aventail indicated this is a fighting helmet. Butted maille becomes increasingly common in the 18th century and is somewhat the norm in the 19th century. While this could be a very fine 19th century example, the riveted maille would have me leaning a little more twords 18th or possibly earlier. My exposure to Indo-Persian arms and armour is predominantly 18-19th century so this is just my fuzzy guess. Someone with a bit more background will hopefully chime in and really fill in the story on this piece.
A Senefelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Atlantia

Hi Redeye,

Nice Sikh style helmet. Butted chainmail and simple carved decoration. Made recently, but still a good thing!

Best
Gene

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

P.P.S. should really be in the Ethno forum
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 10:55 PM   #4
A Senefelder

I stand corrected, in my intial look at the pics I thought I spied rivets, but Atlantias comment made me look again and he is absolutely correct the rings are butted. That would put the helmet in the later 19th century perhaps. Thast what I get for not wearing my glasses.
Old 28th March 2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Senefelder
I stand corrected, in my intial look at the pics I thought I spied rivets, but Atlantias comment made me look again and he is absolutely correct the rings are butted. That would put the helmet in the later 19th century perhaps. Thast what I get for not wearing my glasses.
Sorry mate, early 21st century IMHO.
Old 29th March 2011, 01:44 AM   #6
A Senefelder

Interesting, most of the new market Indian reproduction armour i've seen around is suffering from the same thing that much newly made European armour is, its to perfect, to symetrical, to even and lacks most of the handmade hallmarks of the originals ( in fact the standards of fine period armour would be returned as unacceptible if incorperated into newly made reproductions, in our mass produced world the hand made quality of original harness with all its asymetries ect. is unacceptible for the modern consumer ). Theres a fair amount of asymetry and uneveness to the decorative motif. Perhaps they're discovering thier mistake.
Old 29th March 2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Senefelder
Interesting, most of the new market Indian reproduction armour i've seen around is suffering from the same thing that much newly made European armour is, its to perfect, to symetrical, to even and lacks most of the handmade hallmarks of the originals ( in fact the standards of fine period armour would be returned as unacceptible if incorperated into newly made reproductions, in our mass produced world the hand made quality of original harness with all its asymetries ect. is unacceptible for the modern consumer ). Theres a fair amount of asymetry and uneveness to the decorative motif. Perhaps they're discovering thier mistake.

I think you've hit upon something there. It's recently (last 18 months) that I've seen this type of simple chiseled steel decoration replacing the intricate koftgari that had become so...... 'familiar'.

Redeye,
Can you post pictures of the inside of the helmet please?
Old 29th March 2011, 02:37 PM   #8
A Senefelder

Quote:
replacing the intricate koftgari that had become so...... 'familiar'.
I've seen a bunch of that and even reworked a few pieces for folks in the last few years ( these owners were aware it was newely made ).
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:09 PM   #9
redeye

Thumbs up

HI
the inside has been re-trimmed recently, Thanks for all the info
Attached Images

redeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:16 PM   #10
redeye

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/images/attach/jpg.gif

The inside was redone recently i was told ,