Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th September 2008, 12:06 AM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Testing members tastes for firearms

I take it that firearms also belong in this Forum; the thing is whether there are members interested in this sort of things.
We know Jim is not so much of a fan of this stuff; i don't know about Ed.
I love the looks of this specimen. Anyone knows what it is ... or willing to know ?
... before i tell the little i ( think i) know about it.
Fernando
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 12:43 AM   #2
Ed

fernando, feel free ...

my interests are very broad.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 12:52 AM   #3
fernando

Hey, watch where your'e aiming that thing at; it might be loaded .
Allright, i'm convinced .
Fernando
Old 5th September 2008, 02:09 AM   #4
Ed

Without going thru books to verify it, those proof marks look british. Could this be a coach gun or warders gun of some sort?
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 11:54 AM   #5
Queequeg

Being Italian, I've always wanted to get my hands on a genuine Lupara.

Queequeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queequeg
Being Italian, I've always wanted to get my hands on a genuine Lupara.
Funny, when I was a child and lived in the countryside, my father had one. Double barrel, .16 gauge, external hammers... it was used originally to give the "start" signal for the rowing races that were held in a nearby lake, in a time and a place where sound amplifiers were not as easy to come by as today. And the first time I shot it I learned why. And for the three following days I kept remembering it while the infernal ringing in my ears slowly, very slowly, started to subdue...
After a while my father get rid of it as the local authorities started to get more strict with, let's say... unorthodox... guns. But I have to admit it had quite a... "romantic"... halo.
My apologies for the nostalgic digression, but this brought me memories
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 06:36 PM   #7
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
Without going thru books to verify it, those proof marks look british. Could this be a coach gun or warders gun of some sort?
This is a sort of blunderbuss, called "bacamarte" in Portuguese and "trabuco" in Castillian, as also optionaly in Portuguese.
These things were usualy a setup made with parts from different origins, mostly that of the barrels. Often a result of regional assembly, by the local smiths. They were largely used in the Peninsula in the beg/mid XIX century, when civilians needed to assure their safety, firstly from invading army astray guys (Napoleonic wars) and later from a consequent troubled period, where outlaws or desperate assailants abunded.
They were very short and handy, easy to conceal under the owner's cape.
This particular one has indeed a .75 British barrel, shortened to 17 inches and "atrabucado" or "abacamartado" ( muzzle widened), mounted on a stock so called "a la Catalunian", and equiped with an action lock of the "patilha" (Miquelete) type, of late generation. Note this is originaly for percussion and not converted from flint, as so often seen.
The barrel was made by some famous John Clive. The trigger guard and ram rod pipe are also British.
Although its stock and lock are basicaly Spanish, this doesn't avoid that it could have being assembled in Portugal. Both cultures and methods were not so strange to each other. It could have also been brought by some Spaniard through the borders, which at the time were not so well defined. In fact, the seller has traded it very close from the (nowadays) Spanish frontier.
Anyway, i find it a very elegant piece.
Fernando
Attached Images

Old 5th September 2008, 08:47 PM   #8
Henk

Firearms aren't my field. But looking at the pictures of these weapons, I must admit they have an atraction.
As always I'm willing to learn. During collecting you see many weapons. Learning about it, broadens your horizon.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 02:03 PM   #9
celtan

Hello Fernando,

You have a Spanish Miguelete Lock percussion "escopeta catalana".

Probably a flintlock converted to percussion in or around 1830.

Best

Manuel Luis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
I take it that firearms also belong in this Forum; the thing is whether there are members interested in this sort of things.
We know Jim is not so much of a fan of this stuff; i don't know about Ed.
I love the looks of this specimen. Anyone knows what it is ... or willing to know ?
... before i tell the little i ( think i) know about it.
Fernando
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Keith

Location: Wychwood Forest, Armidale NSW, New England Australia
Default What Is It?

This gun looks Spanish in design, but I am confused by the percussion hammer & scent bottle type drum. The main spring on the exterior of the lock suggests along with the overall design a much earlier firearm?!
Regards, Keith.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 02:02 PM   #11
fernando

Welcome to the forum Keith.
Concerning your remarks, have you taken the previous posts describing this weapon in consideration ... origin, age and all?
Old 21st January 2012, 02:24 PM   #12
Fernando K

Hola Fernando

Me parece que es una adaptación de un fusil militar: de allí el calibre (.75) y las fornituras; también las marcas del Banco de Pruebas, GP y V coronadas, aunque carece del punzón de la Torre y del punzón de propiedad real. No he tenido en mis manos el cañón, pero me parece que se ha soldado el "masacote" para atornillar la chimenea (niple), o sea que el cañón era originariamente de chispa. Tal vez sea un fusil construído para la Compañia de Indias.

Afectuosamente. Fernando K

Hello Fernando

I think it's an adaptation of a military rifle: hence the caliber (.75) and the trimmings; also the proof marks, GP and crowned V, although it lacks the punch of the Tower and the punch of royal property. I have not had my hands on the gun, but i think that the "masacote" has been welded to screw the chimney (nipple), meaning that the barrel was originally for a flintlock. Maybe it's a rifle built for the East India Company.

Affectionately. Fernando K

Last edited by fernando; 21st January 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 02:37 PM   #13
fernando

Can you define "masacote", Fernando?
Que significa el termo "masacote" ?
Old 21st January 2012, 11:08 PM   #14
broadaxe

That's an interesting firearm Fernando, and I do think we can share place for historic firearms as well. I think the word you used, "patilha", origintes in old Arabic, because "fitil" means actually cord fuse or cord match, so the phrase "Abu-fitil" meaned matchlock gun, later any long gun.

Shotguns played a major role with the defence of hebrew settlements during the pre-state phase, 1880-1948, mostly long side-by-side either Belgian or British, and after 1918 onwards the "Abu-hamsa" (arabic for "Father of five") took also place in the scene; You know it as FN-Browning semi-auto with 5 cartridges.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 11:18 PM   #15
Fernando K

Hola, Fernando

"Masacote" es el término que se aplica al trozo de metal que se usa para la conversión de un cañón (barrel) de chispa (flint) a percusión. Se siguieron dos métodos, tradicionalmente: la soldadura a base de cobre, en el lugar del oído o el agrandado y roscado de este, y la introducción por roscado de la pieza. Por supuesto que la pieza tiene un canal para permitir el paso del fogonazo producido por la ceba fulminante y una perforación mas grande y roscada para permitir el roscado de la chimenea (niple). "Masacote" viene de "masa".

En los cañones originarios de percusión, el masacote está forjado, y forma parte de la parte final (breech).

Afectuosamente (y pese a la traducción) Fernando K

Hello, Fernando

"Masacote" is the term applied to the piece of metal used for the conversion of a barrel from flint to percussion. Two methods were followed, traditionally, the copper soldering in place of the fire hole or its enlargibng and threading, for the introduction of the piece. Of course, the piece has a channel to allow passage of the priming spark produced by lightning and a larger and threaded hole to allow the placxement of the nipple. "Masacote" comes from "mass".

In the barrels originating from percussion, the masacote is forged, and is part of the breech.

Affectionately (and despite the translation) Fernando K

Last edited by fernando; 22nd January 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote