Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th November 2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Bill M

Thumbs up A more powerful resource than Google for the ethnographic student -- McDougall!

As we were reading threads in this forum and the European Armory Forum, Anne commented that there is a great resource on this forum that finds things that Google has missed.

Jim McDougall!

I'd like to take a moment and honor this man for his erudite contributions and his eternally optimistic outlook.

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 7th November 2008 at 01:00 AM.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 03:40 PM   #2
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
As we were reading threads in this forum and the European Armory Forum, Anne commented that there is a great resource on this forum that finds things that Google has missed.

Jim McDougle!

I'd like to take a moment and honor this man for his erudite contributions and his eternally optimistic outlook.

I TOTALLY AGREE .....THE MAN'S A LEGEND

I wonder if "McDougling" will enter our dictionaries

Bill. a nice idea to show our appreciation for all his efforts...and his undoubted enthusiasm......Thanks Jim

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 03:58 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Cool

I AGREE HE IS TRULY A GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR AND A FOUNT OF KNOWLEGE AND HE HAS STAYED THE COURSE WHEN MANY RESOURCES FOR KNOWLEGE HAVE DROPPED BY THE WAYSIDE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 04:39 PM   #4
olikara

Thumbs up A gem!

Jim is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge and always willing to go an extra mile helping new and younger collectors and students of arms and armour.

Thanks Jim.
olikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 04:57 PM   #5
TVV

I agree as well - not only does Jim possess an extraordinary knowledge, which he shares openly with all of us, but he has also contributed greatly towards making this forum a friendly place, in which everyone with a desire to learn is welcome. His knowledge and passion has deffinitely been an inspiration for me. Thank you Jim!
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Norman McCormick

You know when you've been ' McDougall'd ', in the nicest way possible of course.
Warmest Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 05:08 PM   #7
kahnjar1

Thumbs up Totally Agree!!

A true fountain of knowledge! A true Gentleman AND the worlds best MOBILE information site!
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Tatyana Dianova

I'd like to thank Jim too for his friendly help and efforts.
Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 09:52 PM   #9
Jens Nordlunde

Few know how much time Jim uses on research, but it is many, many hours. The fact that he is always ready to share his knowledge with others it only natural to him, and I know he has helped a number of collectors quite a lot during the years.

Thank you Jim
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 10:16 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Aye McDougall, ye're a rare prize .
Gold ain't in it !
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 10:30 PM   #11
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

I'm a slow thinking guy, wouldn't guess Bill was talking about 'the' Jim McDougall.
But never mind the delay, Jim is like Port Whine ... the older the better.
You old rascal, your'e the best.
Indeed when one wants to browse on old weapons, instead of 'googling' ... one will do better doing some 'Mc Dougalling'.
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 10:32 PM   #12
migueldiaz

As somebody new around here, Jim is indeed one of those who will certainly make you feel at home right away. And his knowledge on the subject is quite impressive of course. Salamat, Jim!
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:00 AM   #13
Gavin Nugent

Default An outstanding acheivement

Well Spoken Bill and everyone else who has posted here, a very knowledgeable man and a gentleman to boot, and to think he still acheives all of this from a computer in his mobile home whilst travelling the USA.

best regards Jim

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:00 AM   #14
M ELEY

The amazing thing about Jim that is even more valuable than Google is that it's not just about the knowledge...it's about his deductive reasoning! He can take a topic, put a spin on it, do research, think of new ways to the "how and why" and come up with 'Singapore!' . The point is, he's open to others opinions and indeed actually feeds on them to find new inroads to a subject. I definately would like to join in with thanking and saluting him!

As the sailors would say "Huzzah, my friend!"
Mark
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:38 AM   #15
RSWORD

Let me jump on the McDougall express! Jim is a true gentleman in every sense of the word and always make new members feel welcome and puts forth information in a way to really make the budding collector feel proud of whatever it is they may have honored us with. My favorite Jim story is standing in a hotel parking lot well past midnight discussing a 5 foot tall African sword I had brought for show and tell. Even though the wind was howling and it was getting late we found ourselves chatting away the night talking about our favorite subject. A good memory indeed!
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 01:08 AM   #16
Jeff D

I would also like to jump on this band wagon! I remember many years ago when I was just starting, Jim sent me a number of articles on my topic of interest of the time. I couldn't believe it, nothing was ever asked for in return. Since then he has helped me endlessly on many other other topics. If only google was this good. Please Jim keep it up.

All the Best
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 01:08 AM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

WOW!
I just sat down and as always opened our site.............and I am more than overwhelmed!! and both moved and humbled by such incredible kindness.

Thank you Bill for opening this thread, and all of you for your kind words and friendship, many of you for years! Actually, the truth is all of you have been my inspiration, and by the weapons you've shared and questions you've asked, I have researched and learned...and we all learned together!!!

You're all like family to me, especially from this rolling 'bookmobile' on the road!! where each day I always have you to talk with, no matter where I am, and I can never thank you all enough for always being there.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you all!!!

As always,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 01:25 AM   #18
Battara
EAAF Staff

Jim as I said once before, I bow in your presence.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 02:41 AM   #19
fearn

Wow, I should check this site more often.

Jim,

You're an international treasure, a veritable fount of wisdom, and an inspiration to civil and informed discussion and debate. Your posts are high on the list of why I visit this site. Thank you!

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 03:03 AM   #20
Robert
EAAF Staff

Jim, I really can't add much to what has already been said other than thank you for all the help that you have so graciously offered to me and everyone else since I joined this wonderful forum.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 03:29 AM   #21
CharlesS

More kudos to Jim. He always shares his knowledge in such a friendly and humble manner. Even more, he always seems willing to lend and ear and indulge other people's interest and specialties even when they are not his own.

Just gotta make it to more Baltimore events Jim!!!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 04:31 AM   #22
CourseEight

Hear, hear!
CourseEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 10:35 AM   #23
Marc

Long time I go, when I first came to this fora, foolishly thinking I knew something, it was him one of whose made me realize how little I actually knew. I remember myself blowing the -by then blissfully sparse- birthday's cake candles and wishing for a library like Jim McDougall's.
Now, years later, knowing barely a bit more, and with a good share of such knowledge coming from Jim and the people around here, I find myself blowing those -every year more crammed- candles wishing not as much as for a knowledge like Jim's (now I'm painfull y aware I'll never reach that point ) but for being able, as years come by, to be just a fraction as gentle, witty, enthusiastic and generous as him.
Thank you for everything, Jim
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 02:02 PM   #24
Mark

Thumbs up

Yes, Jim rocks, no question. What puts him not only head and shoulders, but also torso above others in this field is, as others have noted, his gentlemanly manner, and his generosity in giving both time and wisdom to all who come, even those with whom he disagrees. A true class act.

PS: Yes, please steer that rig toward Timonium sometime around mid-March.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 02:37 PM   #25
Andrew

Thumbs up

Who is this "Jim" of which you all speak?

Thread stuck.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 05:01 AM   #26
Gonzalo G

I would like to add, that Jim is also a very supportive and kind person with every person on this forum, encouraging the participation, answering the questions and explaining patienly even to the most timid and disoriented members of this community. Thank you, Jim. I hope you can contribute to this forum for a very long time.
My best regards

Gonzalo
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 06:01 AM   #27
bjeweled

Default What a darlin'

Such a kind and generous person with an incredible wealth of knowledge. Thank you dear sir!
bjeweled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 06:16 AM   #28
John

I guess Jim is a gentleman of the highest degree and find his posts a joy to read albeit not that much on the ethnographic context (since I'm such a novice) but the civil, diplomatic, patient and scholarly manner he communicates in. A fine example of a fine human being...
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 06:15 AM   #29
Chris Evans

Hi Bill,

Nicely put. The sheer breadth and depth of Jim's knowledge, not to mention enthusiasm, is astonishing. A great contributor to this forum and I always enjoy reading his posts.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 04:52 PM   #30
ariel

Jim,
No matter how deeply you are blushing already, I am going to add : thanks for everything you taught me.
Any compliment you already got and will get from other Forumites is not only well deserved, but actually an understatement of our respect, admiration and appreciation.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote