Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th February 2011, 12:53 AM   #1
laEspadaAncha

Default Mystery Knife Origin?

I recently acquired this knife with the intent of identifying its origin. However, the inscribed circumpuncts are ubiquitous to every culture and of no real help. The brass inlaid quasi-star-shaped medallions are set in place with amber. The hilt is made of horn, and ivory or bone (my money's on the latter). There are (what I believe to be) aluminum pins set in the horn, and in rows on the reverse side of the scabbard. The hilt has an almost Indonesian feel to me, but I can't find anything in Zonneveld that resembles it in style/shape.

The 19 cm blade has been over-cleaned and sharpened by an apparent idiot. The knife measures about 30 cm.

In the end, it turns out a blind man would have better luck with a Rubik's Cube. So I offer it here, with the hopes the collective exposure and knowledge present will provide where my own limited quantities of both have failed me.

laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 02:07 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Wink

I'll walk the plank .

Turkey / Caucasus ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 02:47 AM   #3
laEspadaAncha

Ahhh... Finally, some company on the plank!

I never considered a Balkan origin. In looking through Tirri's Islamic Weapons..., there were a couple examples that had a similar blade profile, but nothing that resulted in a real "a-ha!" moment... Nonetheless, after looking through the section on the Balkans, I think you are much closer to home than I was with my Indonesian "gut" call.
Old 17th February 2011, 08:19 AM   #4
carlos

I have seen similar knives in some shops in spain, to the tourist market and normally the sellers tell the knives are from Nepal or India, and they have kukris with similar bone, pins and brass.
best regards
carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 08:42 AM   #5
kronckew

my initial impression is indo-nepali as well. the sword of shiva design on the blade, and the brass bindings on the scabbard is found on khukuris.

edited: i thought it looked familiar, so i did a 'search' - see This Thread, my post no. 9. it appears to be another chainpuri churi (knife).

p.s. - chainpur is a village in nepal, churi means 'knife', the kami who made the one in my post was from chainpur.

Last edited by kronckew; 17th February 2011 at 10:26 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 05:37 PM   #6
laEspadaAncha

Thank you both Carlos & Kronckew for your assistance. Chainpuri churi it is then...

In retrospect, the geometric arrangement of aluminum pins did ring familiar, and now I know where I had seen them before - on tourist-grade kukris.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 17th February 2011, 05:45 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Splash !!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 06:14 PM   #8
kronckew

it's interesting how technology changes our perceptions. 130 odd years ago, aluminum (or aluminium for the natives here) was a rare and exotic metal, fit only for the rich, and it's use was restricted to upper class items only. aluminum pins would have indicated high status.

then 1886 rolls along and the bottom falls out of the aluminum commodities market as the Hall & Heroult process to produce it comes into effect.

one should consider this when dealing with antiques that have aluminum. that pre 1886 piece with the aluminum grip or guard was once worth more than it's weight in gold. (tho i don't recall any from pre 1886, myself )
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote