Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th September 2006, 07:33 AM   #1
Rather

Default African (?) saber - help needed

I have a chance to buy this sabre. It looks like a marriage of an European blade with Arabic inscription and scabbard and decoration of haft from Northern Africa. Have no Idea whether it is original or a fake. Any ideas about origin and age?
Attached Images

Rather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 08:17 AM   #2
Freddy

Thumbs up

Very nice sword ! Good find.

I found in 'African Arms and Armour' by Christopher Spring a description of similar swords. These come from Ethiopia (Northern and Central Highlands). This is what he writes :

"... Swords were usually exceptionally longbladed, especially among the infantry, and designed principally for slashing rather than thrusting, the latter function being performed by the shorter spears carried by both infantry and cavalry. They were almost invariably worn on the right hip, presumably because the large, elaborately decorated shields which were carried on the left arm would otherwise have impeded the draw of such long and unwieldy blades. Three main types of long sword may be distinguished, the first having a slightly curved blade similar in form to the European cavalry sabre. The large hilts of polished rhinoceros horn or wood are of ovoid cross section, flaring out on either side of the grip and embellished with a button of filigree work. Sometimes a Maria Theresia dollar is employed in place of this button. The single edged blades of these weapons are often found to bear the hallmark of an European weaponsmith. However, the sheaths are almost always of local manufacture, and are highly distinctive. Fashioned out of red leather, sometimes embellished with velvet and decorative bands of metal, these sheaths suddenly rise up at the tip into a slender prow capped with a solid metal sphere or medallion of fine filigree work. ..."

I think your sword comes in this category. The other two types he mentions are the 'shotel', a sword shaped like an enormous sickle, and a straight-bladed sword, similar to the 'kaskara'.

I hope this helps
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 09:31 AM   #3
katana

Hi Rather, can't add much to what Freddy has already said.... certainly looks to be authentic... I also think it's a nice sword.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Flavio

Mhmm, it's a strange sword! The scabbard is typical ethiopian, but the handle??? Also the blade is strange: never see before a gurade with an arabic blade. I'd like to ear what Roano thinks.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 10:37 AM   #5
Rather

Thank you for your comments! I have the same concern as Flavio. It is also the handle, which worries me a littel bit, especially the S-shaped hand guard. I still have some doubts about the whole thing...
Rather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 10:43 AM   #6
katana

I must admit that many of the Ethiopian Euro bladed and hilted swords tend to be Cavalry Sabres with knucklebows...... The hilt (handle and pommel) does have a 'Kaskara' look about it.... with the addition of the Arabic script....
Wondering whether this could have been in the Sudan at some point in its life..... assuming the scabbard was the latest addition..... perhaps a 'captured' sword 'adopted' by an Ethiopian... Bearing in mind the historical conflict between the two areas

Still a nice sword....with.....perhaps, many a tale to tell

Last edited by katana; 7th September 2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 7th September 2006, 05:09 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

I cannot see any reason why not to snap this up and proudly shout your triumph, as long as the price is good . This may vary in detail from many published examples but these are nonstandard weapons and although said to be Abyssinian were in use in a huge region with Christians, Muslims, and Animists all contributing to the styles of weapons. If you do not buy it, you could give me the nod .
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 05:29 PM   #8
mross

I agree with Tim. If the price is not high, buy it now and agonize later.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 02:19 PM   #9
katana

I suppose....with a sword such as this...a good indication of it's 'authenticity' is to actually 'wield' it, ..... if it feels 'right'.....and the price is right ....then I would definately take the risk.

I agree that the crossguard looks 'cumbersome', could it be that originally it had a knucklebow, which has been cut down / removed, perhaps due to damage. It might explain why it looks slightly 'odd'.
Old 8th September 2006, 03:10 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Red face

Allow me to swim upstream here and suggest that this might be a Berber sword . The scabbard form fits the Berber pattern quite well . Of course if the script on the blade is amharic(sp?) then the matter is most likely settled.

My feeling is that this may not be Ethiopian.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 03:51 PM   #11
Flavio

Hi all, here is a picture from Spring's book: a gurade and an europian saber with ethiopian scabbards.
Attached Images

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 02:22 AM   #12
roanoa

Hi guys. I'd like to see a close up of the scabbard. The tooling on the red leather is a sure tell. It looks Ethiopian to me. I agree that Berber scabbards also come in this shape, but the blades are usually much shorter. I also agree that the leather covered hilt has close ties with a Kaskara. That was my very first thought. It would be interesting to have the writing translated. Having said that, nothing surprises me when it comes to ABYSSINIAN swords. I have seen Kascaras with Ge'ez writing on the blades as well as the Lion of Judah. I have seen gurades with Arabian and even Moroccan hlts. And, of course, gurades with Arabic writing. Let's not forget the Arabian influence in Abyssinian areas like Harar. As it stands, without better pictures and more info, I would say it's a sword of Ethiopian/Sudanese origin and that it may have changed hands a few times and that each new owner has put a personal touch to it. Also, it seems to me there is leather braided cord attached to the scabbard and that it is made in the typical fashion of Southern Sudan. Any more thoughts? Cheers, RON
roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 09:55 PM   #13
roanoa

One more thing that came to mind. The scabbard is, I suppose, made of raw hide covered with thin red leather. Ethiopian swords are worn on the right side and the stiching is therefore on the left side which is the side close to the body. If this is the case, then I would believe that at least the scabbard is Ethiopian.
roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 03:45 PM   #14
Michael Blalock

It looks like an Ethiopian sword that ended up in Sudan and got the typical Kaskara acid etching. There may have been other modifications at that point as well.
Michael Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 05:37 PM   #15
Tim Simmons

Ethiopia and the Sudan share a long modern international border in the 19th century this would have been much more fluid. The Mahdi had followers in what is to days Ethiopia. So where one influence ended and another started is splitting hairs really.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote