Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th July 2007, 10:54 PM   #1
kronckew

Default cheap sword?

just picked this one up on e-pray. shamshir style brass hilt caught my eye, looks familiar somehow, did i see a similar one here?

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 12:16 PM   #2
katana

Hi Kronckew,
I saw this too, but was alittle concerned as to its 'functionallity' the cast hilt looks to be 'unfinished' if you look at one of the quillions.. there seems to be some surplus material (from the casting) that has not been removed

The blade also seems to have indentations (almost like a ripple) on its spine, it suggested to me that the blade was either very thin or may be unhardened/un tempered. as the damage caused by whatever had struck it would have possibly chipped or cracked a 'true' blade.

But these are my own thoughts...concluded from the listing pictures. Hopefully......and quite probably....I am wrong.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 01:25 PM   #3
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi Kronckew,
I saw this too, but was alittle concerned as to its 'functionallity' the cast hilt looks to be 'unfinished' if you look at one of the quillions.. there seems to be some surplus material (from the casting) that has not been removed

The blade also seems to have indentations (almost like a ripple) on its spine, it suggested to me that the blade was either very thin or may be unhardened/un tempered. as the damage caused by whatever had struck it would have possibly chipped or cracked a 'true' blade.

But these are my own thoughts...concluded from the listing pictures. Hopefully......and quite probably....I am wrong.

Regards David
i saw that too, so was a bit sceptical (hence the cheap sword title, if someone else had bid another quid more than my sniper limit - which was 50p more than i got it for - they would have had it ), i've got a tulwar blade in need of a new hilt in case the blade on this one is a cheap'n nasty one, i'll 'finish' off the quillion if it is indeed flash from the casting & not gunk...if the spine was a bit softer than the edge, as in differentially tempered, i might expect some parries to leave a few dents. would like to have seen the included scabbard 'in need of a small repair'. mebbe it's got some fitting worth salvaging for one of my other projects...

anyways, not much worthwhile in the ebay pipeline, so i was bored and decided it was worth a shot. cheaper than taking a ladyfriend out to dinner anyhow....

Last edited by kronckew; 8th July 2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 8th July 2007, 03:17 PM   #4
katana

Hi Kronckew,
I have bid (and won) on some items that may or may not be 'good'. If cheap enough....they are sometimes worth the risk. I picked up a few knives worth 3-5 times the amount I paid. but others were a complete waste of time . I believe that a number of possible sleepers are often 'overlooked' because of the 'risk' factor.
As the SAS would say,..... he who dares...wins, on ebay its a case of ..you can dare....and you could win. It does add to the 'excitement' of collecting.
Fair play to you for taking that risk....I hope it 'pans out' good for you.

David
Old 8th July 2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Kronckew,
I too admire your courage in 'going for it' ! which as we all know can often lead to unfortunate results, and well learned lessons...the key is to not make them 'expensive' lessons. I can honestly admit mine have often become the latter.
In my opinion this appears a modern commercial interpretation of a Qajar revival weapon, and I noticed the same things of the blade that David descibes. It is however an attractive piece, and I can well understand your inclination in obtaining it.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 06:52 PM   #6
kronckew

i've had a few clunkers that looked good but turned out junk, tho many of them were sleepers, like my kard (ebay: old hunting knife) salawar yataghan (old rusty jungle machete) a couple of 'african' or 'unusual' knives that turned out to be indonesian, and a few more. the 80% surprise goodies well outweigh the 20% junkers, so when in doubt i will frequently bid (tho low). i have a gut feeling this one may be a 'decorator' but i am willing to be wrong.

every once in a while i get one like my flyssa which was instantly recognizable during my quick scan thru my search thumbnails, tho described incorrectly, or my presentation burmese dha that was listed as an 'egyptian sword' - i'm still surprised that the sharks here didn't get into a feeding frenzy on those two....ah, well - luck of the draw (or a little informed risk taking anyhoo). the nail biting angst as i waited for the countdown on those two was almost too much.

i'd like to swim in the deep water with the big boys but can't afford to be more than a minnow nibbling at the edges, and sometimes getting a good bite.

winning the lottery might help, y'all have any good numbers?
Old 8th July 2007, 09:31 PM   #7
katana

[QUOTE=kronckew
i'd like to swim in the deep water with the big boys but can't afford to be more than a minnow nibbling at the edges, and sometimes getting a good bite.

[/QUOTE]

seems we're in the same boat....or should that be ...in the same shallow water