Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th March 2011, 06:31 AM   #1
Rust Collector

Default Hello!

Hi everyone my name is Matt Cox, I live in Tucson Arizona and I collect and study weapons and tools from the paleolithic to the colonial periods. I have been lurking around for a while and am impressed with knowledgeable and thoughtful discussions that take place here.
I thought I would start off with my latest purchase. It's made of brass and I'm assuming it's Yoruba based on the whimsical animals on the handle but it's just a guess. A cursory look in my books and on the net but hasn't produced a good match yet. I would welcome any thoughts you guys might have.
Attached Images

Rust Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 06:09 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

WELCOME TO THE GROUP. WHILE ONE CAN LEARN BY LURKING IT IS NOT AS MUCH FUN AS PARTICIPATING.
THE AX APPEARS TO BE MADE ENTIRELY OUT OF BRONZE WHICH IS A BIT UNUSUAL GIVEN ITS SIZE. YOU ARE LIKELY RIGHT SAYING YOURUBA AS THEY MAKE MANY CEREMONIAL OBJECTS FROM BRONZE AND BRASS. THIS AX WOULD FALL INTO THE CEREMONIAL CATEGORY AND WOULD NOT BE LIKELY TO BE USED FOR COMBAT.
NO DOUBT SOME MEMBERS MORE KNOWLEGABLE IN THIS FIELD WILL BE ABLE TO GIVE YOU BETTER INFORMATION.
UNFORTUNATELY YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COLLECT ANY RUST OFF THIS ITEM
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote