Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th January 2015, 03:49 PM   #1
trenchwarfare

Default Aka Peoples of Assam Wetzfa Sword

Well, after about four years of drooling, I finally got it! First time I saw this sword, it was well out of my price range. Sometimes, patience pays off. I was off a little on the drawing, and dimensions I posted earlier. Blade is 29" long, 1 13/16" wide, and hewer cut. So, I guess that makes it a Wetzfa? With the Wetzpa blade, being as long as 48". 38 3/4" overall. I don't know how old this is, but my gut tell me, that it has great age. Beautiful patina throughout. The exposed areas of wood, were rattan wrapped at one time. I think the scabbard bindings are replacements. Please tell me your opinions/observations on this piece.
Attached Images

trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Sajen

Wow, beautiful sword! I go green with envy. I direct remember this sword from the Dha Research Archive: http://dharesearch.bowditch.us/C0047.htm
I hope that it is ok to post the pictures direct to this thread to see that it is the same family of swords. It is described as Kachin dha but with "?"

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Very cool. Just love the simple but so clever construction. I do not really collect swords and knives any more, but like some Seme and other simple African items, I would not have been able to resist this sword.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 05:45 AM   #4
trenchwarfare

Thanks guys. It seems that as before, there is little interest/knowledge in this type sword? As in all mysteries, and puzzles in life, there is a key. Once I find the key, the world will unfold regarding this sword. But for now, the box is locked, and the sword ain't talkin'.
Old 28th January 2015, 07:32 AM   #5
DaveA

Default Assam

Thank you for posting this. I have a growing curiosity regarding the ethnic groups of Assam and their edged weapons. This sword is spectacular. The simplicity of design using bamboo is gorgeous to my eyes. What can you say about the origin of this type of sword?

Best,

Dave A.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 02:42 PM   #6
trenchwarfare

Unfortunately Dave, I have nothing to add. What I know, has been posted on this forum. Other than, I absolutely love the organic simplicity. The first time I saw it...wow. I think that it is a very early form of Dha, and is quite old. The region of Assam, is a melting pot of ethnicities, so putting a particular groups name to it is problematic. The fact that only one is pictured in the posted link, makes me think they are rare. Hopefully, someone will shed some light.
Old 29th January 2015, 04:48 AM   #7
Nathaniel

wow, fantastic to see! Thanks for sharing!
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 05:27 AM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

I cannot really add anything of value to this thread other than to say thank you for sharing and adding my congratulations to you on your acquisition of this rare piece.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 11:22 PM   #9
fearn

Wow, that's about as simple as a sword can get. Interesting design!

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 05:37 AM   #10
DaveA

Default Scabbard

Would you be so kind as to post a picture of the scabbard "throat" such as it is? I am very curious to see exactly how this blade slides in. Is it tight? or loose? What protects the two lower portions of the scabbard from separating?

Best,

Dave
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 08:55 PM   #11
trenchwarfare

Here's a couple shots of the "throat". The sword fits tight, where the hilt binding starts. It appears that the middle binding, keeps the end of the scabbard from separating. I see no evidence of anything ever being on the bottom. At least not passed through a split in the rattan, as on the throat, and middle. Maybe something leather long gone?
Attached Images

Old 3rd February 2015, 05:05 AM   #12
trenchwarfare

Where's all the Dha people? I know this sword is pretty obscure, but a little discussion might possibly lead to references, or photos of more examples.