Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 8th May 2018, 05:01 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Kerala knife

I recently came across an interesting knife on a French auction site. It was titled "Arme courte - Wedong Asie du Sud, probablement…" but it is not a wedung (unless "wedong" has another meaning in French). The auction experts were obviously unsure ("probablement"). Southern Asia yes, but I think it is a knife from Kerala based on the shape of the knife, the hilt, and the similarity of the scabbard to one of mine from Kerala that was a deaccessioned museum piece.

I would like to hear from some of our India experts if they agree that this knife is from Kerala. Opinions encouraged

Ian.

Attachments: Mystery knife and one from Kerala
Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 07:21 PM   #2
Miguel

Definitely Kerala IMHO and a fine example of this weapon, beautiful silver work on the scabbard. See Tirri Islamic Weapons, page 305, for two examples but not as fine as the two you have posted.
Regards
Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 09:31 PM   #3
Jens Nordlunde

Yes it is a Kerala knife. I find them interesting, but I dont have any myself.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 09:38 PM   #4
kai

Hello Ian,

I'm with you - definitely not SE Asia.

However, there seems to be some discrepancy/disagreement as to where these knives originate from within India: Kerala is usually given as default but some appear to originate from Rajasthan and thereabouts. Especially the example from the auction does look Rajasthani to me (and yours possibly, too)...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 09:41 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks Miguel. Yes, Tirri's examples are similar.

There has been some debate about whether these knives are from Kerala or NW India, as there appear to be similar style knives from Rajastan and neighboring areas. An online dealer from Jodphur seems to have a steady supply of similar knives although none as nice as these two.

Ian.
Old 11th May 2018, 09:41 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

I still think the one Ian shows is a Kerala knife. Have a look at the Pichangatti scabbards.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 11:46 AM   #7
kronckew

saee also http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=kerala
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2018, 05:10 AM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
Thanks for bringing that old thread back up. Artzi Yarom shows a couple of knives that are very similar to the first one I posted above with inlaid silver decorations of arcs, etc. and a recurved edge on the blade.
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:13 AM   #9
NavdeepBal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Thanks Miguel. Yes, Tirri's examples are similar.

There has been some debate about whether these knives are from Kerala or NW India, as there appear to be similar style knives from Rajastan and neighboring areas. An online dealer from Jodphur seems to have a steady supply of similar knives although none as nice as these two.

Ian.
While I was in India a dealer i knew was selling about 3 of these, I hadn’t seen them before but he jus called them Kards and told me they had been in his family since a long time. Some of my other friends in India were also selling a few of these. And keep in mind all these dealers are from Punjab, so north India. All sorts if weapons from all sorts of regions passed thru the entire Indian subcontinent. Pattas were liked by many Punjabi chiefs, Jambias were used all the way to the Deccan, etc. The deccan is the “birthplace” of many indian weapons and martial arts techniques.
NavdeepBal is offline   Reply With Quote