Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th October 2015, 10:56 PM   #1
harrywagner

Default Are these Bidri?

These are two Indian daggers that I think are vintage. They are different styles, and made at different times, but they share some common traits. E. Jaiwant Paul, in his book "Arms and Armour: Traditional Weapons of India" discusses a decoration technique named Bidri. I am wondering if that is what these two are?

Harry
harrywagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 12:41 AM   #2
harrywagner

This time with the photos. I hope!
Attached Images

Old 15th October 2015, 04:01 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

First of all, these daggers both look like later work to me.

Secondly, I believe bidri work is a form of what is also called koftgari.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 09:46 AM   #4
Kubur

Hi Harry,

Yes, they are very recent low Indian production. You have plenty on epray.
In the 1970ties they had big factories around Mombay, now they have some to the North too.

Bidri work is different from koftgari. What we can see here is a low quality koftgari: they apply silver decoration on cold metal. Mostly like a painting, normaly the koftgari should be stuck to etched metal.
In the bidri work, they cover the designs and parts that they want to let in silver. Normally covered with clay, then they put the piece in an oven. The non-protected parts will become black. The protected parts will be uncovered later and will stay bright shinny silver.
I hope that I'm understandable...

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 01:18 PM   #5
harrywagner

Thanks guys. I have seen some of the "vintage" work coming from India, and neither of these fit into that category. The one with the cat's head pommel has been in the posession of a Polish collector who I have bought from several times before. The other was part of an estate sale on Cape Cod. Supposedly it's previous owner bought it on a trip there in the 1930s. I believe it.

Battara, the silver work is damascene, or koftgari, if you prefer. Bidri is a technique used to blacken steel.

Kubur, you may be right about that not being Bidri, but the steel has definately been blackened in some way. The koftgari is quite good. It stands slightly proud on the both pieces, except for the band around the neck of the one with the cat's head pommel, which is not proud, but flush with the steel.

Harry
Old 15th October 2015, 02:41 PM   #6
ALEX

Kubur is correct on both age and technique observations. These are recent decorative, aka tourist items.

The "blackening" in Bidri work is not related to dark/black background on coftgari. These are different techniques and methods.

Harry,
These daggers are exactly like those you referred to as "vintage work coming from India", and quality of coftgari or technique has nothing to do with it.
Do you believe they're 1930's based on previous owner's words alone or do you have at least one reputable reference to a similar item being described as such?
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 11:37 AM   #7
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywagner
These are two Indian daggers that I think are vintage. They are different styles, and made at different times, but they share some common traits. E. Jaiwant Paul, in his book "Arms and Armour: Traditional Weapons of India" discusses a decoration technique named Bidri. I am wondering if that is what these two are?

Harry
This is a perfect example of how posting good, clear, detailed images in the initial post would be most helpful as well as saving a lot of guess work by forum members.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote