Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th March 2005, 11:28 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Piha Kaetta

From Timonium. Got this for my wife Anne. It is 11.5" long. 18th Century.

Robert Hales gave a good talk on these. Seems they were made in Ceylon and worn by nobles.

Anybody have any more info?

BTW Have decided to drop the "Naga Basuki" handle.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 11:37 PM   #2
nechesh

Hey Bill. Finally come out of the closet, eh? I should talk, right.
Anyway, i don't know a thing about these except that if i wasn't so obsessed with keris these might make a good substitute. This looks like a pretty nice one. I've scene more extravagant ones, but this piece looks fairly complete and intact with nice metal work. Nice gift for the Misses, better watch yourself from now on. I wish i could convince my wife she needs to buy me one.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 11:45 PM   #3
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechesh
Hey Bill. Finally come out of the closet, eh? I should talk, right.
Anyway, i don't know a thing about these except that if i wasn't so obsessed with keris these might make a good substitute. This looks like a pretty nice one. I've scene more extravagant ones, but this piece looks fairly complete and intact with nice metal work. Nice gift for the Misses, better watch yourself from now on. I wish i could convince my wife she needs to buy me one.
A Hebrew Serpent talking about an Indonesian Serpent!
Old 21st March 2005, 01:11 AM   #4
Ferguson

I love these. Here's a link someone posted here once before.

http://www.pihakaetta.com./

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2005, 03:18 AM   #5
CharlesS

Nice example...always nice to find complete with scabbard. The hilt embellishments on these are so fragile it's a real miracle to find a complete one. I believe the scroll at the top of the blade was probably overlaid in good silver at one time. It gives the pia kaetta yet another unique and dramatic look.

Pia kaettas were not reserved for nobles(though certainly the one Bob Hales showed were!!), but they vary enormously in quality and materials....as well as size.

Good catch!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2005, 05:07 AM   #6
Federico

Ya know Nechesh, I was told once, in passing that some believe that the hilt form of the Piha Kaetta was a precursor for the Javanese kris hilt form. Now this was told to me in passing, along the same lines as I am repeating it here (heard from a friend from a friend, etc...), so take it with a grain of salt, but perhaps a subconscious reason for the attraction?
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2005, 11:38 AM   #7
nechesh

One can not deny a certain family resemblence.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2005, 02:45 PM   #8
derek

How do I contact Rober Hales? I'd like to see if he would be willing to share his info from Timonium on pihakaetta.com.

When thinking about pihakaettas a distinction needs to be made between those made by the "Four Workshops" and those made elsewhere. The four workshops were craftsmen employed by the king and it is nearly certain that all of those produced would have been for nobles, chiefs, or important people.

There is a reference in a hard copy of an old anthropological society article that I will have to dig up that indicates some pihas were used for fighting. We can probably assume that these would have been the less ornate examples. But this is the only mention I have found and I would challenge anyone to produce more info on this. I would love to see it!

Again (I've noted this before), piha and kaetta are two completely different terms in Sinhalese and they don't call the ornate knives by this term. They simply call them pihiya. Da kaetta is a work knife, a totally different form.

Bill, a very good example. The sheath is in great shape and that's tough to find.

-d
derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2005, 03:06 PM   #9
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek
How do I contact Rober Hales? I'd like to see if he would be willing to share his info from Timonium on pihakaetta.com.

Bill, a very good example. The sheath is in great shape and that's tough to find.

-d
I will get you his email. However it might be a bad idea to call him "Robber Hale."

He does command high prices. I got a neat Chinese goose quill sabre from him that has the fittings, dress and blade that would make it a piece for a noble.

The piha kaetta he was showing weighed about five pounds. He only had pictures, but an INCREDIBLE work of art.
Old 21st March 2005, 03:57 PM   #10
derek

Thanks, Bil (jk).

A five pound piha and a hummer. Two things Freud could draw conclusions about, I'm sure. No offense to all the five pound piha and hummer owners out there.

-d
Old 21st March 2005, 07:50 PM   #11
Conogre

Perhaps a dumb question, but are these still being made in Sri Lanka today or is this another item from the past?
Many knives and swords, such as the keris,kukri, dha, kanjar, jambiya and such are still used in dialy life and very much at least a status object in some cultures, while a weapon and/or tool in others.
In some cases, modern pieces of substantial quality are still being produced and used, while in others they have been largely reduced to, or at least most commonly seen, as poor quality tourist oriented novelties.
With the mention of hilt similarity to the keris, that also brings to mind the question of is or was there any religious implication to or associated with these, or were they simply status symbols of the elite (which seems highly unlikely)
Some knives come to mind that were originally only permitted to be worn by royalty or high ranked court officials but eventually spread to neighboring areas in similar forms and often with entirely different uses, with the Wedung as an example.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2005, 08:32 PM   #12
derek

Hi Mike,
This is a good question. The ornate pihas, like Bill's, were made exclusively by the Pattal Hattara (The Four Workshops). They were employed directly by the Kings in Kandy. The last Kandyan king was in the early 1800's, and the workshops are no longer in existence today. From talking to Mr. Mohan Daniels, who owns a gallery in Colombo, there have been no pihas made since. However, I don't know if this applies to the less ornate "fighting" versions.

I have one piha that I would call a modern repro of the ornate style. I've posted pics before. The blade is flat and looks to have been ground. The patterns on the grip are out of sync with the style that was taught (this is a subject in itself) and employed by the workshop artisans, and the quality pales in comparison.

Maybe there is a cousin to the piha that is still used for work? I don't know, but I've spoken to four Sir Lankans (two antique dealers, a collector, and one professor) who all maintain that the the making of pihas is a lost art.

-d
Old 23rd March 2005, 09:20 PM   #13
inveterate

Derek, On a recent trip to Sri Lanka a friend searched every nook and crannie, I am sure its not only a "lost Art" as you say but its hard to even turn up an original example in the home country. Rod
inveterate is offline   Reply With Quote