Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd July 2006, 03:33 PM   #1
katana

Default Tulwar hilt and disc pommel.....the reason for their design

Tulwar hilts....small ...and the disc pommel catches the back of the hand...perhaps Asians had smaller hands?......Comments like these are often mentioned about Tulwar hilts. I think I may have the answer.....we are used to 'standard' sword 'play' and as such see the hilt as a problem. However, I found these interesting short videos that show Martial Art forms for the Tulwar, the Gatka still practiced by Sikhs.

You will need Microsoft Media Player to view these files.

http://www.warriorsaints.com/media/v...ngleSword1.wmv

http://www.warriorsaints.com/media/v...ngleSword2.wmv

http://www.warriorsaints.com/media/v...ngleSword3.wmv

http://www.warriorsaints.com/media/v...ladebattle.wmv

As can be seen, rather than the sword being an extention of the arm, the whole upper body is used to direct blows and slashes, which requires less wrist motion. The small hilt and large pommel ensure the sword is not 'lost' in the frenzy of battle.

What do you think.........................
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 04:33 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

WOW!!!! I want more please

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 04:50 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I agree , sweeping cuts using the upper body .
All that whipping the sword around between cuts is impressive but you have to wonder about its efficacy in melee combat .
There was a long Gatka vid on SFI somewhere ; would be worth a search although the production values are not as good as the ones you offered .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 04:51 PM   #4
ariel

Very impressive and very beautiful!
However, I think this style of swordplay uses MORE rather than less wrist motion. Rivkin once posted Georgian video, swordplay with a Kindjal: remarkably similar technique. I would agree with Rick: most of this ballet is just for show: actual battle swordplay is more economical. Perhaps, it is just "katas" of gatka, and in the actual battle elements are used as needed.

Still....

How on earth do they do it?
I tried with my Tulwar (pretty big and very comfortable handle), but couldn't approach even 1% of the fluid, 3-dimensional slashes! The pommel disk got in the way. I must be doing something wrong or one needs hell of a lot more training.
Great video!
Thanks!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 04:53 PM   #5
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
WOW!!!! I want more please

Lew

Your wish is my command...... I thought they would be of interest... I certainly think so......here are several methods to get to the front of a queue or get through to the bar in a crowded Pub.....

http://www.warriorsaints.com/media/v...oubleSword.wmv

http://www.warriorsaints.com/media/v...oubleSword.wmv
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 06:02 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Extremely interesting post Katana!! and I'm glad to see the attention to the tulwar, which is one of the more esoteric of collectible ethnographic swords.

I have always been inclined to think of the design of the tulwar hilt to represent largely atavistic influence from many of the early weapons seen in the iconography of India. It seems as if the techniques employed in using the tulwar may have evolved to work around the somewhat restrictive elements of the hilt structure, particularly the often very large pommel disc. The disc is known to carry not only aesthetic but often important symbolic themes in its decoration. The knuckleguard may represent the influence of European weapons and swordplay techniques in degree but such application needs to be consigned to research on individual weapons or limited regional forms rather than broad assessments.

It seems there have been a number of very good discussions over the years examining the techniques used with the tulwar, and the primary concerns seem to have been with the impairment of wrist action caused by the disc of the pommel, as well as the limited size of the grip. The longstanding claim that the smaller grip size was presumed due to smaller Indian handsize, while it has been also suggested that the presence of the 'Indian ricasso' on the blade was intended to allow the warrior to wrap the forefinger around the quillon of the guard. This seems to relate to similar European practice from early rapier swordplay.

The tulwar was an incredibly deadly weapon, and used with considerable effect by the Sikhs in particular. In the cavalry regiments of the British Raj, these were the chosen sabre. I once owned several examples made by Robert Mole of Birmingham,England specifically for native troopers of British cavalry in India.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 01:11 AM   #7
B.I

hi,
i realise i am bordering controversy, but hope this will be taken as it is meant, and not how it could possibly sound.
i dont relate gatka with the formation or original martial use of the tulwar. i have seen gatka a few times, and know people that practise it to a realtively high standard, and theorise on the use of this and other swords. no matter how convinced they are themselves, none have ever managed to sway me past the thought that this is not much more than a dance with swords, done in the membrance of a lost history of martial prowess.
as rick says, put in a real situation, i dont think they will be swinging so much in pretty patterns.
the tulwar is not a sikh weapon, although it was adopted as such.
the 'dances' i have seen are truly fabulous, and a wonder to behold. but then again, so is michael flatley.
there are many accounts of encountered indian warriors in battle, described by the british. although they sadly dont recount the actual weapons (we can assume they could have been tulwars) i am sure they would have mentioned the wild swinging as this was very un-british.
i am afraid that, like most other oriental martial art, it is only a matter of time before gatka hits the general public after a c-list celebrity decides to make a fitness video using its basic principles.
the ricasso arguement, as jim stated, is long going and without a possible outcome. i think both camps locked horns and argreed to disagree
as to the grip size, i feel this too has had many theories. mine is rather simple, and as valid and invalid as any other :-)
i believe the original hindus (especially in the north - rajput and before) to be of a much smaller size. muslims (from all over) have been in india since well before the moghuls, and left a solid mark not only in art and architecture, but also in the people themselves. if you go to india, you will see many very small men, with very small hands (that today would fit comfortably in a 300 year old hilt). i think this form was very much like their original hindu ancestors. then you see many indian that are much larger, and i think these had a mingling of blood from the turks/persians/moghuls/sultanate who were larger people. there is no such thing as a hindu hilt in the tulwar form, as no one can prove who the original sword was made for (could have been a small moghul, or a large rajput!)
i have accounts of a famous 17thC rajput prince of 'pure' hindu line that had a huge brother who owned outsized weapons. the maharajas state's armoury still exists, which a number of huge weapons (possible owned by his brother, or just another big guy some years later). what i am saying is nothing can be assumed or put past speculation.
another interesting point, to bolster my long-standing arguement against fingering the ricasso, is that early hindu swords (from 16thC and before) had absolutely tiny hilts, smaller than most small tulwars. the form of the enlarged guard makes slipping a finger anywhere absolutely impossible.
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 09:28 AM   #8
micas

Reminds me of that scene in Indiana Jones where that sword twirler does his thing right before Indy shoots him.
micas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 08:47 PM   #9
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
The longstanding claim that the smaller grip size was presumed due to smaller Indian handsize, while it has been also suggested that the presence of the 'Indian ricasso' on the blade was intended to allow the warrior to wrap the forefinger around the quillon of the guard. This seems to relate to similar European practice from early rapier swordplay.
Hi Jim, may i ask you ?
Would it be a reasonable positioning on this problematic to consider that, small grips to fit hands of determined Peoples, or short grips due to transfer of one ( or even two ) finger/s to the blade ricasso, are two distinct things ?. This not avoiding that a mix of both can be referenced ... and also this not meaning such mixes are for efective use.
As an example, one can observe in pictures 20, 21, 23, 24, 28 and 29 of HOMENS, ESPADAS E TOMATES, various Cingalese Kastanes, with their blade ricassos and finger protection rings of a diminute dimension . In a free translation of this book's page 173, Daehnhardt reminds that the Portuguese introduced in Ceilão, in the beginning of the XVI century, besides the portable firearm, the sword finger protection. He refers however, that the Cingalese swordsmiths never understood the appearing of the techniques related to the blade ricasso and the protection rings in front of the guard. They actually introduced the ricasso section in their blades, but reduced the dimension of the rings to such a size that fingers could not get through, therefore the whole technology degenerating into a mere decoration detail. The reason, he says, is that Cingalese smiths kept making the blades with the same curved shape, for striking use, as also the Cingalese sword handling techniques remained the same. Therefore having no need to extend the finger to control the sword, the presence of these devices must be considered as of style and ornamentation.
Sorry for the bore, most probably you already knew all of this.
Kind regards
fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote