Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th February 2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Rumpel

Default Tebu/Mandara short sword?

...or tourist dreck?

I picked this up in Fez a few months ago. It was literally free- the shopkeeper threw it in with some calligraphic zellij tiles I'd spent hours haggling over- so the harsh intrusion of reality won't upset me too much...

It doesn't have the sharply-pointed tip of 'other' Tebu daggers I've seen (the shopkeeper claimed it was Tuareg, btw, but that's probably northern Moroccan for everything vaguely Sahelian/sub-Saharan). In fact, it has a distinctly squared off blunt 'tip', and seems to correspond in size exactly with the 'welded' mid-point of this sword: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=tebu

Coincidence, quite probably. But I thought it worth throwing into the mix.

Finally, I don't think the conical ferrule on the sheath belongs to it: the shopkeeper scrabbled around in a biscuit tin for it, and it took some violence on his part to bash it on.
Attached Images

Rumpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 03:58 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Rumpel,
First of all, thank you for sharing this interesting item and the recounting of the interactions as you obtained it. It truly adds fascinating dimension to the circumstances surrounding the sword as it was acquired. Also, I commend your awareness of previous discussions on these type swords, its great to have that step set as a benchmark for discussion.

The 'tourist' appellation is much overused for weapons from these African cultures, as for the most part, these traditional weapons are very much elements of costume and utility used into present times. With native people who are often impoverished, naturally most things are for sale as opportunity arises, and would simply be replaced as required.

The rebated blade on this is most interesting and while not suggesting any particular association, reminds me of the executioner swords of Germany of 16th-16th centuries. I would assume the present blade profile may be in response to a reconfigured blade from damaged tip or shortened. The fact that these weapons are often remounted or altered for servicability is well known across the Sahel into the Sudan.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote