Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th February 2016, 10:55 PM   #1
harrywagner

Default Help with translation and ID

This is another recent purchase and a bit of a mystery. Jambiya are one of the few weapons I feel like I know a little something about, but this one has me stumped. It has a horn hilt. I believe it is rhino. The sheath is interesting. I've not seen another one like this. And the hilt is unusually small at under 3". It has the look and feel of an old piece. I would guess early 20th. I am hoping the writing on the blade will provide some clues. Can anyone help with the translation? TIA!

Harry
Attached Images

harrywagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 08:15 AM   #2
kronckew

rotated right way up is layering like that pommel end shot typical of a rhino grip? the star of david is often seen on yemeni knives, hebrew makers were an accepted part of the community as 'people of the book'.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 26th February 2016 at 08:28 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 01:00 PM   #3
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
rotated right way up is layering like that pommel end shot typical of a rhino grip? the star of david is often seen on yemeni knives, hebrew makers were an accepted part of the community as 'people of the book'.
Thanks! I don't have an answer for your hilt question. I think it is rhino, but am no expert. If it is then it is one of four I have with rhino hilts. Three look similar to this but the other is almost the same color as an orange. Stephen Gracie discusses this in his book Jambiya. Let me know if you would like the page number.

After a closer inspection I have come to two possible conclusions about this knife. First, it is a different beast. The hilt is noticeably smaller than that of any other Jambiya I have seen. The second thing that strike me, and something you notice as soon as you pick it up, is its weight. It weighs almost nothing, and yet it is all business. This is no toy. I think this may have been intentional and is the reason the hilt does not have the metal band typically found around the base of the hilt. I think weight may also have been the driving force behind the embossed brass sheath cover. It is durable and light. The blade is forged and good steel. Too good for the owner to have been a cheapskate. I think this is one of two things:

- a knife meant for a child
- what I call a "keeper". Items get heavy after a while. People throw away things they would never have dreamed they would toss once they realize their survival may depend on lightening their load. Not the one though. It weighs almost nothing.

Thanks much for the help. I hope someone can translate the Arabic.

Harry
Old 26th February 2016, 06:20 PM   #4
kronckew

mine also has a small but comfortable 4 in. grip, but a plain leather sheath & small belt, tho the scabbard is lined with red felt and the belt lined with white felt. it has brass banding across the front of the grip and sheet brass covering the back. no stars or inscriptions on the sharpened 7 in. blade.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 07:15 PM   #5
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
mine also has a small but comfortable 4 in. grip, but a plain leather sheath & small belt, tho the scabbard is lined with red felt and the belt lined with white felt. it has brass banding across the front of the grip and sheet brass covering the back. no stars or inscriptions on the sharpened 7 in. blade.
That is a good looking antique. From the Sa'Da region I think. Early 20th? The metal backing on the hilt is not uncommon for this area. You see them in brass and silver, some engraved, some plain.

I have a Jambiya with a hilt decoration very similar to yours, although not nearly as nice.

Harry
Attached Images

Old 26th February 2016, 07:17 PM   #6
kahnjar1

Hi Harry, Not sure about that hilt being rhino as the end of the rhino hilts usually shows the typical "orange peel" texture. Your one does not appear to show this.....
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 08:42 PM   #7
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Harry, Not sure about that hilt being rhino as the end of the rhino hilts usually shows the typical "orange peel" texture. Your one does not appear to show this.....
Not always. It depends on which part of the horn was used and how it was oriented on the hilt. There is a post on this forum that does a great job of telling you how to identify rhino. Here are the best photos I can provide. I've also included photos of the hilt of another knife that I know is rhino. I am convinced they both are. Same goes for the little one that is the subject of this post. That being said I will be the first to admit that I have been wrong before.

Harry
Attached Images

Old 26th February 2016, 09:30 PM   #8
Gavin Nugent

Interesting knives but nothing Rhino about these.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 10:39 PM   #9
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent
Interesting knives but nothing Rhino about these.

Gavin
Holy smokes! I could not be more surprised. I wonder now if I have ever handled a rhino horn hilt. I was sure these were. Thanks to you and Stu for setting me straight.
Old 27th February 2016, 12:33 AM   #10
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywagner
Not always. It depends on which part of the horn was used and how it was oriented on the hilt. There is a post on this forum that does a great job of telling you how to identify rhino. Here are the best photos I can provide. I've also included photos of the hilt of another knife that I know is rhino. I am convinced they both are. Same goes for the little one that is the subject of this post. That being said I will be the first to admit that I have been wrong before.

Harry
I have my doubts that your comment re orientation is actually true. Rhino horn is in fact not true horn at all but is made of keratin and is fibrous. Orientation to maintain strength would need to be WITH the grain and not across it. See GOOGLE for KERATIN information.
If I am wrong in my comments I stand corrected, but I am sure that (maybe) GAVIN will confirm my comment.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote