Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th June 2011, 04:49 AM   #1
ariel

Default Dagger on E-bay: what did I miss?

It ended at $3,250.
I am not saying it is not nice, but...
Sold as Quing Mughal dagger.
I am not trying to be sarcastic, I am just wondering where is the giant lacuna in my knowledge?
Attached Images

ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 06:38 AM   #2
laEspadaAncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
It ended at $3,250.
I am not saying it is not nice, but...
Sold as Quing Mughal dagger.
I am not trying to be sarcastic, I am just wondering where is the giant lacuna in my knowledge?

Well, it's definitely not where my lacuna lies, as I had to look up the word "lacuna" just to reply to the thread. I guess that's what I get for buying my word-a-day calendar at the $.99 store.

I have a few antique metalware items from NW Pakistan with somewhat similar metalwork and enameling. Interesting piece. Having a hard time myself seeing $3,200, but obviously someone saw the value in it...
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 07:03 AM   #3
asomotif

Is the scabbard pure gold ?
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 07:46 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

I feel that at least two or more people saw the value.

A single bidder cannot drive up an auction price by himself --- he needs help from somebody bidding against him.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 07:59 AM   #5
eftihis

intresting though that the other biddr had zero feedback....
eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 08:31 AM   #6
ALEX

Ariel, you’re safe:-) But it’s incredible how many others are struggling with this. This is new China-made souvenir, bought for around $100 and listed under mystical-sounding title. There were several very similar sold on eBay recently, and several are currently listed. This “jade” handle can be picked up in China for under $5, and also on e-Bay for even less as part of magnifying glass or mirror. The stones are “cooked” glass, Russian-style enamel and filigree wire work is typical ordinary new production. Not to mention a crude bolster/blade joint, there is no tang. What’s nice about it? This type of “souvenir” can be in a dollar store as a letter opener, or sold by dozens in a flea market - but once on e-Bay packaged in a convincing description, a few stones, enamel and other glitter, people get blindsided … just like with “Antique Mughal” daggers coming out of India all of the sudden. With this trend gaining momentum, soon we’ll be refusing ethnographic originals and jumping on “rare and magnificent” fakes – a disturbing drift IMHO.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 10:28 AM   #7
eftihis

very good information and insights, Alex!
eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Dom

already, there is an other one, under the same label
I didn't read enough carefully Alex's post who mentioned it
sorry for the double ...

à +

Dom

Last edited by Dom; 17th June 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 01:18 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Seems to me that somebody must have stumbled upon a long lost trove, with all these rare and valuable items coming onto the market.

I wonder if that under bidder who missed out last time will try for the other one that has come up.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 02:24 PM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

I wondered if this was a newly made product. China - hmmm. Bolster also bothered me.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 04:10 PM   #11
VANDOO
(deceased)

EBAYS POLICY OF HIDING BIDDERS IDENITY ALLOWS A SELLER TO BID UP HIS OWN ITEM, I HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD HOW THIS PROTECTS OR HELPS A BUYER BUT EBAY WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS.
TO BID UP YOUR OWN ITEM AND THEN REPORT TO EBAY THAT THE SALE DID NOT GO THRU AND RELIST THE ITEM AT A PRICE LOWER THAN THE RECORDED PREVIOUS SALE BUT STILL EXTREMELY HIGH IS LIKELY DONE FREQUENTLY WHEN IT WORKS.
I HAVE NOTICED AN INCREASE OF VARIOUS IMPLEMENTS AND TOOLS BEING REPRESENTED AS WAR CLUBS AND WITH VERY HIGH PRICES LATELY. THERE HAVE ALSO BEEN SOME CLUBS WHICH SHOULD BE TOP PRICE CONSIDERING THEIR ORIGIONS AROUND $200.00 TO $300.00 LISTED FROM $650. 00 TO OVER $1000.00. THEY USUALLY RUN OVER AND OVER AT THE SAME BUY IT NOW PRICE.
I RECENTLY SAW A VERY NICE FIJI ULA WITH THE FANCY IVORY OR BONE INLAY WORK GO FOR OVER $800.00, IF IT HAD BEEN A GOOD OLD EXAMPLE A VERY GOOD PRICE. BUT IT WAS MADE FOR HIGH END TOURISTS IN THE 1960'S OR LATER AND WAS OBVIOUSLY NOT A GOOD OLD ONE BECAUSE OF THE STAIN INSTEAD OF PATINA, AND EVIDENCE OF THE USE OF MODERN POWER TOOLS AND A FEW SHORT CUTS USED IN ITS CONSTRUCTION.
I HAVE BOUGHT A FEW CLUBS FROM FIJI MADE DURING THAT TIME AND AM FAMILIAR WITH THE WORKMANSHIP, WOODS USED ,STAIN AND TECKNIQUE.
THE PRICES USED TO BE REASONABLE ON THE GOOD REPLICAS AND WERE A GOOD CHANCE TO GET A GOOD EXAMPLE OF A FORM OF CLUB THAT WAS PRICED OUT OF A COLLECTORS MEANS OR RARE ENOUGH IT WAS NOT LIKELY A COLLECTOR WOULD FIND ONE IN HIS LIFETIME WITHOUT A LOT OF LUCK.

AS ALWAYS LET THE BUYER BEWARE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 02:16 AM   #12
DaveA

Default Very suspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
Ariel, you’re safe:-) But it’s incredible how many others are struggling with this. This is new China-made souvenir, bought for around $100 and listed under mystical-sounding title. ....
Could be money laundering or some other kind of scam in process. Seems like overpaying (yourself) on eBay for an item would be an easy way to do it.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 03:28 AM   #13
laEspadaAncha

Now that is slick. Never thought about that possibility...
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote