Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th March 2007, 10:00 PM   #1
OAKSP

Default MY FIRST ORIENTAL A MANDAU

Hi to everybody arround the world !

I am a collector of Spanish blades, but allways loved oriental weapons.

My query is:

Tourist of real ?

Amulets, any idea ?

Thanks to all
Attached Images

OAKSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 09:57 AM   #2
asomotif

Dear Oaksp,

The mandau is very touristic I must say.The amulets are a wooden earring that has the shape of a hornbill earring, a nail (is it real) and some bone statue. tha last one may be original, but not original to this mandau.

Go to the search function on this web site and look for mandau or dayak or borneo. Trust you will find a lot of info and pictures.

Best regards and good luck,
Willem
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 03:13 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

I AGREE IT IS A FAIRLY RECENT MANDAU MADE FOR SALE AS A SOUVINEER. THE POOR CARVEING IS DONE IN SOFT WOOD AND THEN BURNED AND SMOKED OVER A FIRE TO MAKE IT LOOK OLDER. THE BLADE IS NOT HEAVY ENOUGH FOR ITS INTENDED JOBS, THE TRINKETS HAVE BEEN ADDED TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN USED OR OWNED. CHECK THE CLAW WITH THE HOT PIN TEST AND SEE IF IT IS PLASTIC OR REAL, I HAD NOT SEEN A CARVED WOOD HORNBILL EARING BEFORE OR IS IT MADE OF SOMETHING ELSE ?. THE OTHER SEEMS TO BE A CARVED DEER ANTLER OR BONE.

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTIONS IN THE FORUM TO LOOK FOR MANDAU,JIMPUL, DAYAK ECT. YOU CAN LOOK AT VARIOUS EXAMPLES FOR COMPARISON. THE MAJORITY OF DAYAK SWORDS SOLD ON EBAY ARE MADE FOR TOURIST SALE. SOME ARE VERY RECENT AND SOME WERE MADE YEARS AGO BUT HAVE BEEN IN SHOPS AND HAVE NOT SOLD OFF. I THINK YOUR EXAMPLE IS VERY RECENT AND NOT OF THE TOP QUALITY FOR RECENT ONES.
HAVING SAID ALL THAT NEGATIVE STUFF DON'T FEEL TOO BAD I HAVE A FEW OF THE BETTER QUALITY AND ODD NEWER TOURIST EXAMPLES FOR COMPARISON AND BECAUSE OF THE INTERESTING WORKMANSHIP. THE SWORD WAS DEFINITELY MADE IN BORNEO AND THE TRINKETS THAT WERE ADDED MIGHT EVEN BE OLD ONES SO IF THE PRICE WAS LOW IT WILL BE GOOD FOR COMPARISON WHEN YOU GET A GOOD OLD ONE IN FUTURE. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote