Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th March 2016, 04:24 PM   #1
Miguel

Default Can anyone identify this Jambiya

Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to discover something about this item from my own ref books and from the web without success and am becoming somewhat frustrated in my efforts. Can any of the members shed any light on it, origin etc. if so I would be very grateful. Thanking you in anticipation.

Miguel
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 05:25 PM   #2
kronckew

the ones here seem strangely familiar: armenian? the knife doesn't look particularly arabic or indopersian, maybe ottoman? the belt hook/stud on the scabbard throat make it appear european to me. fairly thick leather (?) cover looks like it was added on top of an older one to me.

Linky to the photo thread here
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 04:52 PM   #3
Miguel

Hi Kronckew,
Thank you for your comments and observations, very interesting. I originally thought that it had a Balkan look about it but as you observed the belt hook is a European feature. I really don't know what to make of it. It appears to be well made and the scabbard is wood covered in green leather, which I omitted to mention. Also the overall length is 15 ins having a 10 ins long blade x 1.3125 ins wide. The other thing that I cannot judge is its age.
Regards
Miguel
Old 10th March 2016, 06:45 PM   #4
kahnjar1

Hi Miguel,
I have a feeling that this COULD be modern Indian manufacture. As you state everything looks very nice, but what about the fit of the leather to metal? The leather appears to be "fatter" than the metal it sits against.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 08:58 PM   #5
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Miguel,
I have a feeling that this COULD be modern Indian manufacture. As you state everything looks very nice, but what about the fit of the leather to metal? The leather appears to be "fatter" than the metal it sits against.
Stu
Hi Stu,

Thanks for your reply. I think your feeling could be correct and that it is Indian made. You are also correct about the leather to the metal. The leather abuts the locket and chape and is not covered by them. The shroud at the base of the hilt is also to short to hold the knife firmly in it`s scabbard all things that make you suspicious of its origin.
I wonder what or who it was made for ? I guess I may never know and it will join my made for Tourist folder along with my other mistaken buys.

Kind regards
Miguel
Old 11th March 2016, 09:47 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

I go with Kahnjar1 - I feel qiuite sure that it is of Indian origin.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 02:08 AM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
Hi Stu,

Thanks for your reply. I think your feeling could be correct and that it is Indian made. You are also correct about the leather to the metal. The leather abuts the locket and chape and is not covered by them. The shroud at the base of the hilt is also to short to hold the knife firmly in it`s scabbard all things that make you suspicious of its origin.
I wonder what or who it was made for ? I guess I may never know and it will join my made for Tourist folder along with my other mistaken buys.

Kind regards
Miguel
Hi Miguel, I think you have probably answered your own question as to who it was made for.
There is a lot of stuff coming out of India purported to be "antique" or "old". As a really good example of this check out "Powder Flasks" on a well known website and you will see many "English" flasks from the "19th century" being advertised. They look in remarkably good condition for age and are IMHO clearly modern made copies. India now appears to be the new China in terms of copying items.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 09:27 PM   #8
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Miguel, I think you have probably answered your own question as to who it was made for.
There is a lot of stuff coming out of India purported to be "antique" or "old". As a really good example of this check out "Powder Flasks" on a well known website and you will see many "English" flasks from the "19th century" being advertised. They look in remarkably good condition for age and are IMHO clearly modern made copies. India now appears to be the new China in terms of copying items.
Stu
Hi Stu,

I see what you mean thanks for the info, it`s becoming more and more of a minefield for the unwary and wary collector alike.
Kind regards
Miguel
Old 17th March 2016, 01:28 AM   #9
ariel

The trilobate pommel looks very Indian to me.
We see similar ones on the so-called "tiger tooth" daggers, old and new.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 06:10 AM   #10
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
The trilobate pommel looks very Indian to me.
We see similar ones on the so-called "tiger tooth" daggers, old and new.
I thought so as well. And it looks like ivory too? quite a rich material.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 08:57 AM   #11
RobertGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
I thought so as well. And it looks like ivory too? quite a rich material.
If it is ivory and of modern manufacture then there could be serious trouble ahead. I suspect, and hope, it is bone.
RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 03:30 PM   #12
Miguel

Thank you al for your comments I am pretty convinced it is fairly modern, made in india. The hilt is bone.
Miguel