Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th April 2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Kmaddock

Default Fixing tumbler on percussion mechanism

hi
Since I have been collecting percussion and flintlocks I have found a lot are found with a regular enough bit of damage. the hammers are missing and/or are the square part on the tumbler that the hammer fits onto is shorn off.
I have repaired about 10 of these and finally gotten around to taking some images
I hope the images are in order

Step one make a piece of round bar that is the same overall diameter as original, there will be a remenant of this on the tumbler face. Also the hole where the screw that holds on the hammer is threaded will probably be remaining on the tumbler
When making the replacement round ( on a lathe) I leave a little nipple that helps central the replacement part onto the tumbler. This also will add to strength

The hole that accepts the screw that holds on the hammer can now be drilled and tapped. I generally drill this hole shorter than originals would have as I do not want to weaken the joint by drilling through it

Then clean and roughen both parts and flux it ready for braizing

When braizing the brass runs between the 2 faces , and everywhere else, it might go into the hole for hammer screw, if so tap this out again

File off the waste brass, brass that is not in the joint will not provide any strength so clean off as much as possible.

The next step is to fit hammer, getting this aligned is tricky
I recommend hand files all the time, takes longer but achieves the job.
No real trick here just go slow.

I have a good source of old shotgun hammers and find they fit and look perfect, care though they are generally are tapered being a larger square on opening closest to the side plate

Once fitted job done and hopefully the platination I have on the old hammer matches the rest of the metal work.

This job is v satisfying, cheap and brings life back to the antiques.

Best regards
Ken
Attached Images

Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 07:26 PM   #2
Fernando K

Ken

Ingenious system, but the welding misses the piece, if it was tempered.

Another job to face would be to rebuild the half cock safety, desoldering the part that covers the previous drill, and its triangular spring. It is difficult, but largely satisfactory. Notice that the tumbler still has the recess to act.

Sorry for the translator

Affectionately. Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Kmaddock

Hi Fernando
Well spotted on the safety.
I will not be re building the safety as it is the history of the weapon having this removed, probably, maybe? during the conversion from flint to percussion, if the safety was just missing I would probably try a re build
With respect to tempering I have never found the meal to be v soft after a weld or braise but then I will not be shooting the weapon so it will only be going through a few cocks and gentle releases.
Regards
Ken
Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote