Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th August 2023, 05:33 AM   #1
phil.reid

Default Omani dagger? Filipino knife? and ivory hilt dha

More flea market pickups, think the jambiya horn maybe rhino, smaller knife is rasor sharp( filopines/ siam
?) burmese dha has queen victoria coin used as end buffer for handle.
Attached Images

phil.reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2023, 08:22 AM   #2
kai

Post Melayu

Hello Phil,

the smaller knife is from the coastal Malay populations of the Malacca Straits: Usually attributed to eastern Sumatra but could be just as well from the western Malay Peninsula.

Good quality carvings and complete; the blade seems to have been resharpened by an overzealous dealer/collector.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2023, 10:26 AM   #3
Sajen

And it's called sewar!
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2023, 11:41 AM   #4
phil.reid

Awesome,sorry i did know this but full of flu and brains foggy, have a german sword with the same style handle, thinking it belonged to a british officer who served there pre offical officers sword pattern and had his sword mounted with malay carved handle, ill try to post photos soon. What are the blades carved from??
Old 19th August 2023, 12:02 PM   #5
Sajen

The blades are forged from fine laminated steel. Attached a picture from the blade of one from my examples.
Attached Images

Old 19th August 2023, 12:12 PM   #6
gp

End right side is indeed a Burmese dha from around 1850-1880 which I believe to be a silver scabbard with filigree silver decoration. I had 2 similar ones which I sold recently.
Condition is reasonably well for its age but would recommend some cleaning of blade ( specially where it joins the handle/grip to avoid corrosion) grip and scabbard.
Nice to have the cord, which seems original, with it as they often go missing.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2023, 12:16 PM   #7
phil.reid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
And it's called sewar!
what are the handles carved from?
Old 19th August 2023, 12:21 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil.reid View Post
what are the handles carved from?
Yours is carved from water buffalo horn but wood and ivory is also common by sewars. Scabbard throat and foot are as well from this horn by your example.
Old 19th August 2023, 12:27 PM   #9
Sajen

My honest collection of sewars.
Attached Images

Old 19th August 2023, 12:48 PM   #10
phil.reid

Quote:
Beautiful collection. Thankyou for sharing and for your knowledge
Old 19th August 2023, 02:43 PM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Phil,

I agree that your dha knife is a nice old one from mid-to late-19th C. The silver covered scabbard is typical Shan work, with a flat toe, filigree bands that segment the presentation and filigree wire work in these segmented panels.

Knives such as these were often decorative or status symbols, and Shan men wore them as part of their attire when they got married. As a result, they are fairly common. Your example is better than average with a nice intact ivory hilt.

Not only the blade needs a clean. You should give the filigree work a bit of gentle cleaning to remove some of the old polishing compound. A soft tooth brush, some warm soapy water, and patience are needed--the filigree work can be delicate and a bit fragile, so take it slow and easy.

Very nice knife for a flea market pick up. You will see online what selling prices are being asked for these knives now. I suspect you got a good deal at the flea market
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2023, 01:19 AM   #12
TVV

The jambiya is an assib jambiya from Yemen.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2023, 09:30 AM   #13
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
Hello Phil,

the smaller knife is from the coastal Malay populations of the Malacca Straits: Usually attributed to eastern Sumatra but could be just as well from the western Malay Peninsula.

Good quality carvings and complete; the blade seems to have been resharpened by an overzealous dealer/collector.

Regards,
Kai
Why specifically a dealer or collector Kai?
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2023, 09:32 AM   #14
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Nice array Detlef.

Would several of these not be classified as Tumbok Lada based on the betal nut crusher hulu type?
Old 20th August 2023, 09:58 AM   #15
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
Nice array Detlef.

Would several of these not be classified as Tumbok Lada based on the betal nut crusher hulu type?
While quite similar to many sewars, "tumbuk lada" have considerably chubbier hilts, made usually from ivory and also display some more subtle differences in terms of construction of front bolster and scabbard.

However, since the demarcation line between a tumbuk lada and a sewar is rather fuzzy, there is much confusion between them.
Attached Images

mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2023, 12:36 PM   #16
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc View Post
While quite similar to many sewars, "tumbuk lada" have considerably chubbier hilts, made usually from ivory and also display some more subtle differences in terms of construction of front bolster and scabbard.

However, since the demarcation line between a tumbuk lada and a sewar is rather fuzzy, there is much confusion between them.
My understanding from Malaysian colleagues is that it is purely the hulu shape that is the defining factor vs regional or status material flair.

Do you not consider 4 of Detlef's as Pepper Crusher hulu? I'd certainly consider #3 & 4 in this this image as Tumbuk Lada.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...0Tumbuk%20Lada.
Attached Images

Old 20th August 2023, 01:08 PM   #17
mariusgmioc

Quote:
My understanding from Malaysian colleagues is that it is purely the hulu shape that is the defining factor vs regional or status material flair.

Do you not consider 4 of Detlef's as Pepper Crusher hulu? I'd certainly consider #3 & 4 in this this image as Tumbuk Lada.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...0Tumbuk%20Lada.
3... definitely classic tumbuk lada (you must notice the slightly different scabbard as well).

4... I would call "sewar"... a rather classic one in my eyes.
Old 20th August 2023, 02:03 PM   #18
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc View Post
3... definitely classic tumbuk lada (you must notice the slightly different scabbard as well).

4... I would call "sewar"... a rather classic one in my eyes.
I do notice all the differences amongst the variations of sewar and tumbuk lada presented.

Sadly Zonnevelds book lacked Malay examples, the images focus on the classic Sumatra style, yet it is very clear in the text what the hulu of the type resembles, which (and I'm happy to provide more images) is that seen in #4 too. It has all the classic curves, peaks and angles that the big brother next to it has.

Here also is the extract from Gardner, 1936 from which Zonneveld presented the text, it may or may not offer clarity.
Attached Images

Old 20th August 2023, 07:03 PM   #19
mariusgmioc

Quote:
I do notice all the differences amongst the variations of sewar and tumbuk lada presented.

Sadly Zonnevelds book lacked Malay examples, the images focus on the classic Sumatra style, yet it is very clear in the text what the hulu of the type resembles, which (and I'm happy to provide more images) is that seen in #4 too. It has all the classic curves, peaks and angles that the big brother next to it has.

Here also is the extract from Gardner, 1936 from which Zonneveld presented the text, it may or may not offer clarity.
Very interesting! Thank you Gavin!

The border between sewar and tumbuk lada is indeed fuzzy.

So, then I guess that no4 could be called tumbuk lada too.
Old 21st August 2023, 10:19 AM   #20
Sajen

Quote:
Nice array Detlef.

Hi Gav,

I like to go with Albert G. van Zonneveld like Marius write before to distinguish between these both types of daggers. But like you write are called sewars with these "pepper crusher" handles by collectors and also people in Indonesia and Malaysia tumbok lada. It's just a name game.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 21st August 2023, 12:10 PM   #21
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Hi Gav,

I like to go with Albert G. van Zonneveld like Marius write before to distinguish between these both types of daggers. But like you write are called sewars with these "pepper crusher" handles by collectors and also people in Indonesia and Malaysia tumbok lada. It's just a name game.

Regards,
Detlef
I think the other thing to consider here Detlef is, although referenced, the Malay states were not part of the work covered by Albert. Perhaps Albert may pursue these regions at a later date if another life time is available to him... he has quite the publication achievement already.

I personally prefer to rely on key sources like Gardner and those who are culturally Malaysian.
Old 21st August 2023, 02:46 PM   #22
Sajen

Malaysian badiks and sewars are another thing, Malays call sewar like daggers as badik, see here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=malay+badik and also here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=malay+badik

Like said, it's a name game!
Old 21st August 2023, 03:45 PM   #23
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
I personally prefer to rely on key sources like Gardner and those who are culturally Malaysian.
While Gardner's work is perhaps seminal i would not personally depend upon it specifically for accuracy.
David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2023, 03:58 PM   #24
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Yours is carved from water buffalo horn but wood and ivory is also common by sewars. Scabbard throat and foot are as well from this horn by your example.
Phil, Detlef does show an example like this in his grouping but does not mention that hilts covered in silver are also common for sewar.
And i do agree that there is some room for debate as to the proper name (sewar vs tumbuk lada) on this form. Sometimes it really does depend upon who you ask and where exactly they are from. These really fat and cylindrical hilts that are usually ivory are probably best referred to as tumbuk lada, but the line can be fuzzy for some examples. I would definitely call your example a sewar.
Here is my silver sewar example. The sheath is horn.
Can you show us some better photos of the blade. Kai seems to believe yours has been badly sharpened, but frankly, while i can see what might make him suspect that, your images aren't detailed enough to show whether that is an over sharpened edge or merely the affects of light reflecting off the blade. Try to photograph it in natural, even light so that it doesn't glint off the blade.
Attached Images

David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2023, 06:38 PM   #25
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Phil, Detlef does show an example like this in his grouping but does not mention that hilts covered in silver are also common for sewar.
Yep, David is correct, I forgot to mention. My one has a cap from gold filigree with a blue glass stone (I guess).
And yes, I would call your dagger a sewar.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Old 22nd August 2023, 12:41 AM   #26
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
While Gardner's work is perhaps seminal i would not personally depend upon it specifically for accuracy.
What's the why behind the comment on accuracy?

Some may have considered him crackers, he did however have the benefit on living in Malaysia for quite some time, Borneo and Perak if I recall, and he had a genuine interest in the people and culture some 25 years before his work was published in 1936.

The item you present here is the same piece you posted in another forum where it was received as a Tumbuk Lada too... I think within these pages it carried various names too.

I totally understand the dilemma, the passing of time and various cultural alignments place conjecture on the "name" of items.

I refer to Marius's note about the sheath timber angle for example and look to this http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4912 and see the same stylised angles.

Another thread showed a Minang Sewar I sold as a Tumbuk Lada, yet it was identical style, manufacture, and proportions to another Minang Sewar with black coral seen in Zanneveld's work, which also sold to the same collector...

I read comments that the Tumbuk Lada (referring to the BIG ivory hilt types) have a straight blade and fullers compared to the deep drop of a Sewar blade, yet, that one in the image above I shared, it has the same curve and drop as the silver Sewar to to left in the same image.

Is it best to tear up all the history books and simply name them knives? Or does that then enter in to the is it a knife or a dagger based on design or application... some framework needs to be adopted, and I personally feel the forefathers who went to the trouble to document these things were in a better position than we were, and phonetics aside, they had a far greater accuracy being there first hand without greater influences at work.
Old 22nd August 2023, 01:14 AM   #27
Sajen

I have known and still know people who would call these daggers as bade-bade! We shouldn't insist on a specific name.

Attached a picture with a "sewar" in up, down under a Malay badik, an unknown Sumatran dagger and four different Batak daggers, in complete down a "tumbok lada".
Attached Images

Old 22nd August 2023, 01:23 AM   #28
Sajen

The same daggers with their scabbards so far present.
Attached Images

Old 22nd August 2023, 04:01 AM   #29
Gavin Nugent

Indeed there are many names used... you only have to look at Stone.... I think there are 4-5 types under that banner... Tumbuk Lada barely got a mention within, Sewer says refer to a type bade-bade...

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/31576

But should in not be that regionally and culturally specific names should be applied to regionally specific items.
Attached Images

Old 22nd August 2023, 06:27 AM   #30
phil.reid

Quote:
And i do agree that there is some room for debate as to the proper name (sewar vs tumbuk lada) on this form. Sometimes it really does depend upon who you ask and where exactly they are from. These really fat and cylindrical hilts that are usually ivory are probably best referred to as tumbuk lada, but the line can be fuzzy for some examples. I would definitely call your example a sewar.
Here is my silver sewar example. The sheath is horn.
Can you show us some better photos of the blade. Kai seems to believe yours has been badly sharpened, but frankly, while i can see what might make him suspect that, your images aren't detailed enough to show whether that is an over sharpened edge or merely the affects of light reflecting off the blade. Try to photograph it in natural, even light so that it doesn't glint off the blade.
Hopefully better blade pics
Attached Images