EAAF Staff

No interest? No comments?
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 07:24 PM   #33
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

M9 KNOTWORK ON GRIP AND SCABBARD IN NAUTICAL STYLE NOT OLD TRIBAL FORM OF WORK. UNUSUALLY LONG METAL FERRULE SHOWING MAKES ONE WONDER IF THE ENTIRE HANDLE IS NOT COVERED IN METAL UNDER THE WRAP. NICE FILE WORK ON THE BLADE.PERHAPS NOT THE ORIGINAL HANDLE.

M10 NICE ALL ORIGINAL KRIS AND SCABBARD WITH CLOTH (ANTING ANTING)? A CLOSE UP OF THE PATTERN OF THE CLOTH MAY SHED MORE LIGHT ON ITS TRIBE AND ORIGION AS IT APPEARS TO BE TRIBAL MADE CLOTH AND PATTERN.

M11 STRIKES ME AS NON MORO LIKELY VISIAN INSURECTION PERIOD, UNUSUAL SCABBARD FORM ESPECIALLY THE TIP.

M33 RATHER CRUDE FILE WORK ON BELALAI GANJAH, UNUSUAL FORM OF WRANGKA (TOP OF SCABBARD) AND WHAT HAS BEEN DONE TO THE SCABBARD TIP? MOP (MOTHER OF PEARL) ON HORSEHOOF POMMEL LIKE THAT SEEN AROUND ZAMBOANGA IN MINDANAO.

M34 GOOD PATINA TO POMMEL GOOD QUALITY SILVER FITTINGS , MISSING BACA BACA WHAT APPEARS TO BE A VERY INTERESTING PATTERN TO THE BLADE, OR IS IT RUST STAINS? PICTURES MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO TELL.
I AM GLAD TO SEE YOU DIG THESE OUT, PART OF THE JOY OF COLLECTING IS HANDELING, DISPLAYING AND GIVING THESE ITEMS THE CARE THEY DESERVE. IT IS SORT OF LIKE PAINTING A OLD FADED FLAKEY HOUSE YOU CAN EASILY SEE AND APPRECIATE THE RESULTS OF YOUR WORK WHEN ITS DONE. I THINK I ENJOY RESCURING AN OLD ITEM IN NEED OF TLC (TENDER LOVING CARE)OVER BUYING A PERFECT RESTORED ITEM. THE RESULTS WHEN THE JOB IS DONE AND THE ITEM LOOKS GOOD AND CARED FOR AGAIN IS ITS OWN REWARD.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 09:21 PM   #34
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I AM GLAD TO SEE YOU DIG THESE OUT, PART OF THE JOY OF COLLECTING IS HANDELING, DISPLAYING AND GIVING THESE ITEMS THE CARE THEY DESERVE. IT IS SORT OF LIKE PAINTING A OLD FADED FLAKEY HOUSE YOU CAN EASILY SEE AND APPRECIATE THE RESULTS OF YOUR WORK WHEN ITS DONE. I THINK I ENJOY RESCURING AN OLD ITEM IN NEED OF TLC (TENDER LOVING CARE)OVER BUYING A PERFECT RESTORED ITEM. THE RESULTS WHEN THE JOB IS DONE AND THE ITEM LOOKS GOOD AND CARED FOR AGAIN IS ITS OWN REWARD.

Very well said!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 09:40 PM   #35
Sajen

Some more explanatory notes:

M9 and M10 seems to my eyes Maranao blades. And agree with Barry that M10 that it is a very nice original kris with the anting anting cloth.

M11 isn't a kris and Barry may be correct that it is a Visayan blade. (look also this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14751)

M33 don't have a seperate gangya and is IMHO a WWII area kris with a typical sheath from this time.

M34 is IMHO a Maguindanao blade.

Regards,

Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 1st February 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 10:45 PM   #36
RSWORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
No interest? No comments?
It has been very nice for Bill to share a lot of pieces from his collection and I have enjoyed the variety and it has been fun to know these have been gun show pick up's for the most part over the years. I'm hoping he'll do an Asian one featuring Burmese/Thai, Tibetan and Chinese.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:59 AM   #37
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
It has been very nice for Bill to share a lot of pieces from his collection and I have enjoyed the variety and it has been fun to know these have been gun show pick up's for the most part over the years. I'm hoping he'll do an Asian one featuring Burmese/Thai, Tibetan and Chinese.
I second that! Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic collection, Whistlinbill! Thank you to Lee as well for posting! Many of these so far are not my area, so I do not comment, but I do very much appreciate! Thank you again!!!
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 07:41 AM   #38
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
... I'm hoping he'll do an Asian one featuring Burmese/Thai, Tibetan and Chinese.
You have just seen the tip of this iceberg thus far and these types are yet to come. A number of the photos have 'outliers' such as M11 and require breaking up in the photo editor for presentation in these themed threads.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:21 PM   #39
RSWORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
You have just seen the tip of this iceberg thus far and these types are yet to come. A number of the photos have 'outliers' such as M11 and require breaking up in the photo editor for presentation in these themed threads.
That is fantastic Lee! One, it provides a wonderful photo archive on this website for future collectors to study and enjoy and two it provides such a wide assortment of items for all of us to enjoy. I have really enjoyed and appreciated Bill's willingness to share his collection!
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:06 PM   #40
Iain

Just to add my appreciation for these posts. I am sure at some point kaskara, takouba and other weapons more in my area will be posted and I will be able to add comments of some substance at that point.

In anticipation, I should add that I have particularly enjoyed the exceptionally clear photography!
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 05:14 PM   #41
DhaDha

Thumbs up

A great and diverse collection. Very generous of you to share...
DhaDha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 03:07 PM   #42
VANDOO
(deceased)

Talking

I WORKED AND TRAVELED FOR MANY YEARS AND HAD NO HOME DURING THAT TIME I COLLECTED MANY THINGS AND BROUGHT OR SHIPPED THEM HOME AND THEY WERE STORED IN A SHED AT MY FOLKS HOUSE. WHEN I FINALLY GOT A HOME AND BROUGHT MY TREASURES OUT AND STARTED DISPLAYING THEM IT WAS A LOT OF WORK BUT FUN.
IT WAS KIND OF LIKE GOING BACK AND MEETING OLD GIRL FRIENDS FROM MY YOUNGER DAYS. THE BIG ADVANTAGE WAS THE SWORDS STILL LOOKED THE SAME AS I REMEMBERED. BILL SEEMS TO HAVE FOLLOWED MY METHOD OF COLLECTING GET ANYTHING THAT IS COOL IN ALL FIELDS.
SO HAVE FUN BILL!! PERHAPS THIS WILL REKINDLE AN OLD LOVE AND I SUSPECT LEE IS ENJOYING LOOKING THRU THIS TREASURE TROVE AS WELL I KNOW I AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 07:53 AM   #43
whistlinbill

Gentlemen, thank you so much! It was fun getting the knives and swords,
and in those days most gun shows would have a thing or two that I didn't have--and usually, back then, the sellers didn't love them so much. Of
course that is written from today's perspective, with today's prices in
mind, but back then the relative value of the money was much more
than it is today. And there were more knives and swords on the market, then, at least in the gun show circles in the US.
I so much appreciate your expertise and your kindness in the scholarly sharing of your knowledge.
Thanks,
Bill
whistlinbill is offline   Reply With Quote