Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd October 2016, 05:53 PM   #1
Will M

Default Recurved bladed with brass hilt.

This is completely unknown to me just got it at a local auction. Well made 8 1/2" blade by at least 1/4" thick, OAL 13". No markings.
Any suggestions as to what it is? I'm thinking ceremonial dress dagger of some sort.
Attached Images

Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 06:08 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=bichwa

HERE IS A LINK TO A POST ON THESE I BELIEVE WHAT YOU HAVE IS A BICHWA FROM INDIA. ITS PROBABLY NOT A VERY OLD ONE BUT APPEARS TO BE WELL MADE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 06:15 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Most interesting design with the crenelated design along guard and the pitons that parallel it off the crossguard. Cannot resist always wondering what compelled these features or what they might recall.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 10:03 PM   #4
Bob A

The blade, at least, looks new. It appears to me to be awkward to handle; do you find it so?

The joining of steel and brass, and in fact using brass to such an extent for the hilt, seems a bit out of the ordinary to me, but my experience set is limited. I suspect that the blade/hilt joint is soldered, and limited to a short length of tang, which makes for a certain weakness.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 12:19 AM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A
The blade, at least, looks new.
Hello Bob,

I know nothing about Bichwas but I would be careful to think the blade is recent, I would like to see better pictures by daylight but I think that the blade could be old.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 01:18 AM   #6
Will M

Blade is old and exhibits many cleanings and worn smooth, the flash has obscured the patina and small imperfections. Again a flash photo but it shows it better
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2016, 01:29 AM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M
Blade is old and exhibits many cleanings and worn smooth, the flash has obscured the patina and small imperfections. Again a flash photo but it shows it better
Again,, I know nothing about this daggers but think you have a good old one.
Old 24th October 2016, 03:13 AM   #8
Bob A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Bob,

I know nothing about Bichwas but I would be careful to think the blade is recent, I would like to see better pictures by daylight but I think that the blade could be old.

Regards,
Detlef
You're right, of course. It did have a newish sheen on the first set if pics, and I hear a lot about Indian modern fakes, so it set off my alarms.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 03:43 AM   #9
Will M

Bob I agree there are many fake/repros around. This one has age to it and looks like a forged blade. The brass castings are detailed and well done unlike modern fakes. My guess is late 1800's to early 1900's, some things never go out of fashion!
I would like to see how they were worn, tucked into a sash or?
The blade is surprisingly sturdy in the brass guard, can see where the short tang has corroded. The ricasso line has worn from repeated cleanings.
I'm interested in the brass design it almost looks like snakes swallowing themselves but the one nearest the pommel appears as a helmet with eye perforations.
Old 24th October 2016, 01:19 PM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A
You're right, of course. It did have a newish sheen on the first set if pics, and I hear a lot about Indian modern fakes, so it set off my alarms.
Hello Bob,

like said, it's not the area of my passion but by look to the blade, it's thickness, the ricosso and the polished areas from deeper pittings let me suppose to see an old and fairly well worked blade by this dagger.
But also asked for better pictures, difficult to see by the first provided pictures. And there for sure a lot of fakes and new items on the market.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 24th October 2016, 03:46 PM   #11
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M
The blade is laminated, probably pattern welded steel with a birdseye-pattern.

A well made polishing and etching could bring out a blade, which you maybe never expected.

Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote