Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th April 2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Sajen

Default South-East-Asian knife quiz

Yesterday I've purchased by an online auction the shown knife. I think that I know what it is but want like to read the opinions of our members and don't want to influence your opinions. It is 41 cm (approx. 16") long overall with a blade from 30 cm (11.8"). It was described as African. I am curious if you come to the same conclusion as I am. Sorry for the picture quality, they are from the seller, will post better pictures soon as I have it in my hands.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 12:40 PM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Looks like Classic Nias by design.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 05:05 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Philippines?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 05:59 PM   #4
kai

Another vote for Nias.

Would love to get a better view on the blade once it arrives, Detlef.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Athanase

+1 for Nias
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 06:28 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Opinion:
Nias, that's a minimalist interpretation of the Lasara hilt; the ferrule also has the Nias look.

It looks rusty.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 06:40 PM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

I'm for Nias as well.
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 07:33 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nias for me.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 07:57 PM   #9
Sajen

Thank you all for your educated opinions and I agree with the most of you (sorry Tim ) everything by this knife let me think Nias as well. And I think and hope that it is the real deal.
The patina of the brass handle is IMVHO the give away, thank you Robert for lighten up the picture, it show it much better.
Kai, be sure that I will show better pictures soon.

So by length it is a Si Euli, see by the handle style in Albert G. Van Zonneveld, page 123, pic. 498.

Thank you all again,
Detlef
Attached Images

Old 24th April 2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I think that's the first brass handle I've seen on a Nias sword.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 09:16 PM   #11
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I think that's the first brass handle I've seen on a Nias sword.
Hello Rick,

sorry, I doubt! See here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=nias or here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=nias

Brass handles are by Nias swords and knives not uncommon so far I know.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 25th April 2016, 10:26 PM   #12
Sajen

Here some hopefully better pictures. The brass handle has a enormus patination, it would be a shame to clean it. The crudely worked blade is almost black but has red/active rust as well, I am unsure what I will do. What you would do? The scabbard is old and show aso many signs of long use but could be a later replacement.
I am now not sure anymore that it can be called si euli, a si euli is a knife/dagger but this is formed like a golok and seems to be a working tool mainly. Opinions? Age I would guess end of 19th century/beginning 20th century. I am glad that I see it.
It coming from a household clearance from an old skipper who lives now in a rest home but this is unproved.
I've taken a lot of pictures and will show them all.
Attached Images

Old 25th April 2016, 10:31 PM   #13
Sajen

more
Attached Images

Old 25th April 2016, 10:33 PM   #14
Sajen

Here together with my other Nias knife which I would call si euli.
Attached Images

Old 25th April 2016, 11:03 PM   #15
A. G. Maisey

I would not touch the hilt.

The blade corrosion appears to be stable, as far as I am aware there is no cultural dictate that decrees that Nias tools are to be kept with stained, perfect blades. The blade I would soak repeatedly in penetrating oil over an extended period of time, then I would hard brush it and wax it.

The scabbard appears to be firm:- good quality furniture oil followed by good quality furniture wax.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 11:37 PM   #16
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I would not touch the hilt.

The blade corrosion appears to be stable, as far as I am aware there is no cultural dictate that decrees that Nias tools are to be kept with stained, perfect blades. The blade I would soak repeatedly in penetrating oil over an extended period of time, then I would hard brush it and wax it.

The scabbard appears to be firm:- good quality furniture oil followed by good quality furniture wax.
Thank you Alan, have full agreement with you regarding hilt and scabbard and will try to follow your tip respective the blade, sounds good and logical.

Regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 26th April 2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 26th April 2016, 08:34 AM   #17
kai

Thumbs up

Hello Detlef,

Congrats for a nice grab! From the auction pics I had doubts regarding the scabbard; from your pics I'd believe it to be old and original Nias - maybe not from the ol' headhunting days but still early collected and crafted within the original culture for genuine use IMHO.

Quote:
The brass handle has a enormus patination, it would be a shame to clean it. The crudely worked blade is almost black but has red/active rust as well, I am unsure what I will do.
Well, culturally correct would be a polished hilt (brass being a valuable but still economically feasible surrogate for gold which was reserved for storing wealth and status rather than working implements) and a reasonably tidy, unstained (i. e. not etched) blade...
From a tribal collector's POV polishing or even mere cleaning would be a nightmare though. So, take your pick...

Contrary to bronze, brass doesn't polish up nicely (or rather repatinates quickly). So the general collector's preferance to leave brass alone does make sense, especially for long-term preservation. With a strongly patinated hilt, extensive cleaning of the blade would not make much sense either (especially since we don't expect to find interesting laminations). Thus, I'm with Alan and also suggest to go for minimal preservation measures only.

For long-term storage, I believe it would be good to get rid of all active rust though and IMHO it would not hurt to loose a bit of dirt during the process. Instead of WD-40 I'd use some good cleaning oil like ballistol, let the blade soak wrapped in kitchen foil and work repeatedly on the active rust (wooden toothpicks are gentle); when you believe to be done, wipe it dry, take some close-ups with flashlight, and start over again... (Make sure not to touch the brass though!) Once done, a final soak in good mineral oil, removing excess over a few days, and finally wax sounds like a good plan.

Quote:
The scabbard is old and show aso many signs of long use but could be a later replacement.
To me it looks like good working quality (possibly carved by the owner with limited decoration); the wire does look like a later replacement though.

Quote:
I am now not sure anymore that it can be called si euli, a si euli is a knife/dagger but this is formed like a golok and seems to be a working tool mainly.
Here together with my other Nias knife which I would call si euli.
I'm not convinced that these small utility piso would have been called si euli - at least they are a completely different entity/style and worn separately.

Golok Nias seems like a good pigeon hole to assign your piece to until we learn the real Nias name for it...
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 09:03 PM   #18
Sajen

Hello Kai,

thank you very much for your elaborate comment. It seems that you have similar thoughts like Alan and myself.
And yes, I think also that golok Nias seems a good description of this heavy knife. But like said before, to my eyes look this golok very old, brass need a long time to receive such a patination. Will post pictures from this piece when I am satiesfied with the look from the blade.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 8th May 2016, 07:20 PM   #19
Sajen

Blade is cleaned like advised, thank you! Here the result.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 9th May 2016 at 12:45 AM. Reason: grammar correction