Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th March 2023, 10:16 PM   #1
roanoa

Default Moroccan dagger??

Picked up this at a show. Not my field, but I could not pass.... I found a similar one on internet (sold a while back by Ashoka Arts) identified a Moroccan. Help???? The back is partially grooved. It has a strange (?) proof mark. Any thoughts. Thanks.
Attached Images

roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 10:32 PM   #2
TVV

Yes, it is from Morocco and it is known among collectors as "genoui". Nice dagger, congratulations,

Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2023, 12:53 AM   #3
RobT

Default Algerian Blade?

Hi All,

The device at the base of the blade looks like a decoration commonly found on Algerian khodmi (see photos). The symbol also appears to be partially hidden by the bolster which may mean that the blade is not original to the hilt. This suspicion is heightened by the fact that both fullers also run under the bolster. An Algerian blade re-hilted in Morocco perhaps?

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

Last edited by RobT; 21st March 2023 at 02:10 AM. Reason: grammar
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2023, 04:23 AM   #4
sabertasche

VERY nice addition!

G
sabertasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2023, 06:23 AM   #5
roanoa

Hi, Sabertache. I live in Coquitlam. Picked this up at the Chilliwack show on Sunday... Cheers.
Old 21st March 2023, 03:41 PM   #6
Duccio

Hello Roano, your new knife comes from Algeria and is called "Bou Saadi" from the name of a city where it is produced, or Khodmi; it was used by the shepherds of the Kabilya tribes to slaughter the sheep... The handle can be made of wood, or bone or horn, as I think yours is.
See you soon!
Duccio
Duccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2023, 11:39 PM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV View Post
Yes, it is from Morocco and it is known among collectors as "genoui". Nice dagger, congratulations,

Teodor
Hi Teodor,
I was under the impression that Genoui were usually double edged. The subject item is single edged.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2023, 11:58 PM   #8
TVV

Eric Claude in his book on swords and daggers from Morocco and Algeria has shown multiple examples of these Moroccan daggers, and he describes them as genoui. Buttin from what I recall prefers to describe them as sboula.

The confusion with Algerian khodmi daggers is understandable and these knives may well have a common ancestor, such as the stiletto, but the decoration, the shape of the hilt, the blades etc are all different.
Old 22nd March 2023, 12:34 AM   #9
RobT

Default Atypical for a Khodmi

Duccio,

While the symbol at the base of the blade appears to be something commonly seen on Algerian khodmi, both the blade and hilt of roanoa's knife appear to be atypical for a khodmi. On all of the khodmi blades I have seen, the bolster is integral with the blade and the blades are asymmetrically ground. Likewise, none of the eight blades in my modest collection have a ricasso/sharpening stop, nor can I remember seeing this feature on any khodmi. Finally, I can't recall ever having seen a fuller on the stereotypical khodmi blade type. As for the hilts, those on the stereotypical khodmi type are usually kerfed to accept the tang and the blade is held to the hilt with a ferrule made of wrapped wire. I have never seen a ferrule like the one on roanoa's hilt on a khodmi. Nor have I ever seen a khodmi with a butt cap.

TVV,
Correct me if I am wrong but I was always under the impression that the genoui was a straight bladed version of the koummya.

kahnjar1,
I do have a genoui in koummya dress that has a single edge blade.

Sincerely,
RobT

Last edited by RobT; 22nd March 2023 at 12:45 AM. Reason: grammar & additional info
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2023, 12:49 AM   #10
roanoa

Sorry, guys, my bad... I missed posting one photo, an important one. So here it is showing the blade, which is 11 1/4" long and 1' wide at the ricasso. Double edge is 6 1/4". Cheers.
Attached Images

Old 22nd March 2023, 12:51 AM   #11
Sajen

I am not sure if it is Moroccan or Algerian. I hope our new member fennec chime in and will be able to tell us more.
I've learned that the shown daggers are all Algerian and called khodmi while the small ones with wrapped wire are called mousse. The Here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...lgerian&page=2 #39

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2023, 12:58 AM   #12
TVV

Here are a couple of pages from Claude's book, where he is using genoui to refer to this specific type of dagger:

There is indeed a version with a koummaya style hilt and straight blade, and Claude refers to shorter (under 40cm in length) examples as genoui, while longer ones he calls sboula.

Name:  Genoui-01b.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  144.9 KB

Name:  Genoui-02b.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  218.6 KB