Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th February 2023, 01:19 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Unknown item - snaffle bit?

Hello to all,

I also have an item lying around that I've bought once at a flea market.
I don't know what it is, maybe a snaffle-bit? It's from brass and the knobs are from silver. Any ideas? And from where could it be?

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 18th February 2023 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Add more pictures
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2023, 09:42 PM   #2
Sajen

Bump!

Nobody has seen a similar necklace before?
Old 25th February 2023, 07:19 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Not a lot of equestrians here (including me, Ive only ever shown a talent for falling off
However, I am obsessively curious and not hesitant to search online to find out about horse trappings, and this whatever it is does not seem to correspond to head gear. I can relate to the poor horses wearing this stuff knowing how much I 'love' my CPAP (not).

While the chains seem to resemble curb chains, the way this is closed rather than adjustable with the fixtures terminating in one loop defeats the idea of dual control , so who knows what this is. Maybe some sort of hanging loop for some sort of utility item ?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 07:37 PM   #4
JoeCanada42

looks cool and looks very old
maybe it is part of a fancy hobble
perhaps a part that went around the neck?
JoeCanada42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 09:05 PM   #5
Sajen

Thank you both for comment! That the item has nothing to do with horses someone written by mail, so you are correct Jim.
Interesting suggestion Joe. Hope one day someone recognized the item.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 25th February 2023, 09:39 PM   #6
Richard G

Cool

I think it's something from which to hang your security pass.
Best wishes
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 11:26 PM   #7
drdavid

Without knowing the size this is a bit of a guess but perhaps a chatelaine (so Richard's guess not far off)
Drd
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2023, 01:12 AM   #8
Sajen

Thank you Richard and Drd,

Maybe you both on a correct path, a friend suggested that it could be a necklace from a priest to wear a big cross.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 26th February 2023, 08:23 AM   #9
kahnjar1

If we knew how big this is it may help. Obviously the "key" is designed to be able to rotate for some reason. If the size is right maybe it could be a chain for a fob watch.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2023, 06:56 PM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1 View Post
If we knew how big this is it may help. Obviously the "key" is designed to be able to rotate for some reason. If the size is right maybe it could be a chain for a fob watch.
Stu
Hi Stu, you are correct, the "key" is designed to rotate. But on the other hand it's heavy with 377 gram. It's approx. 42 cm long, see picture.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Old 27th February 2023, 12:35 AM   #11
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Hi Stu, you are correct, the "key" is designed to rotate. But on the other hand it's heavy with 377 gram. It's approx. 42 cm long, see picture.

Regards,
Detlef
Hi Detlef,
So it is obviously too long (and heavy) to be a Fob Watch chain. If, as has been suggested, that it is some kind of necklace, why the necessity for the "revolving key"? It does not seem logical to me for the need of this even if something heavy was to be hung on it. I could be quite wrong here but that is just my thoughts.
Stu
Old 27th February 2023, 01:38 AM   #12
JoeCanada42

Part of a fancy dog leash,
the rotating part so the dog cant twist the chain as to build up tension and snap it?
or a key chain collar for a well trained guard dog like in the movies..

Last edited by JoeCanada42; 27th February 2023 at 04:29 AM.
JoeCanada42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2023, 06:22 AM   #13
kahnjar1

Quote:
Hi Detlef,
So it is obviously too long (and heavy) to be a Fob Watch chain. If, as has been suggested, that it is some kind of necklace, why the necessity for the "revolving key"? It does not seem logical to me for the need of this even if something heavy was to be hung on it. I could be quite wrong here but that is just my thoughts.
Stu
Hi Detlef,
Just another thought about this item.
It could (maybe) be a neck chain used by some well to do person for leading a horse or some other animal. The chain would go over the head and around the neck, unlike a snaffle bit which goes in the mouth. Then a halter is attached to the "key" to lead the animal. As has been said elsewhere, this item appears quite old so we may never know exactly what it was used for. Could possibly be of Middle Eastern origin???
Stu
Old 2nd March 2023, 08:31 AM   #14
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCanada42 View Post
Part of a fancy dog leash,
the rotating part so the dog cant twist the chain as to build up tension and snap it?
or a key chain collar for a well trained guard dog like in the movies..
Thank you for your interesting thoughts!
Old 2nd March 2023, 08:38 AM   #15
Sajen

Quote:
Hi Detlef,
Just another thought about this item.
It could (maybe) be a neck chain used by some well to do person for leading a horse or some other animal. The chain would go over the head and around the neck, unlike a snaffle bit which goes in the mouth. Then a halter is attached to the "key" to lead the animal. As has been said elsewhere, this item appears quite old so we may never know exactly what it was used for. Could possibly be of Middle Eastern origin???
Stu
Another interesting view on it. This would make sense and would explain why the "key" can rotate. And yes, I also think that it could be of Middle Eastern origin. Thank you Stu for your thoughtful comment!

Regards,
Detlef
Old 8th March 2023, 02:08 PM   #16
Kmaddock

I think it goes around the neck

A reason for the key to rotate could be you hang something on the "Key" and at different times you want to display different sides of the object.

Ie during a mass you show an image of Birth at start and then rotate to an image of Death at the end.

I have no idea by the way just throwing things out but I think it is to fragile for equine work or constraint.

Nice item though.

Ken
Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2023, 09:38 PM   #17
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmaddock View Post
I think it goes around the neck

A reason for the key to rotate could be you hang something on the "Key" and at different times you want to display different sides of the object.

Ie during a mass you show an image of Birth at start and then rotate to an image of Death at the end.

I have no idea by the way just throwing things out but I think it is to fragile for equine work or constraint.

Nice item though.
Thank you Ken, interesting suggestion. I just received a mail from a friend who showed it to an antique dealer, he says that it could be a Jewish chain worn by a Rabbi or from Eastern Christians, he seems to be sure that it is a religious necklace.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 12th March 2023, 02:23 PM   #18
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Chain of Office or Livery Collar

Detlef,

To me this looks like what is often referred to as a "Chain of Office" or a "Livery Collar," such as worn by government official or a Mayor of a city. There would be a medallion of some sort hanging from the central "key." These chains are quite long, hanging around the neck, resting on the shoulders and across the chest.

If you google "Chain of Office" you will see some very lavish examples in gold, etc. However, your example might be for a city councilor or a mayor is a small burg.

Cheers,

Ian

P.S. Are you sure it's brass and not gold?

Last edited by Ian; 12th March 2023 at 02:33 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2023, 04:06 PM   #19
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Detlef,

To me this looks like what is often referred to as a "Chain of Office" or a "Livery Collar," such as worn by government official or a Mayor of a city. There would be a medallion of some sort hanging from the central "key." These chains are quite long, hanging around the neck, resting on the shoulders and across the chest.

If you google "Chain of Office" you will see some very lavish examples in gold, etc. However, your example might be for a city councilor or a mayor is a small burg.

P.S. Are you sure it's brass and not gold?
Hi Ian,

Sorry for my late reply, I've overseen your reply. It seems that you have solved the mystery. Thank you very much! I have this necklace already long and never have known what it is, so I am very thankful!

Regards,
Detlef

PS: I am nearly sure that it isn't gold!