Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd February 2016, 07:19 PM   #1
E Farrell

Default Dating of chambers for breechloading cannon

I am searching for information on how best to establish date and origins of chambers for breechloading cannon.

I am currently working with a breech block (divorced from its cannon), and I can date its last use to the first quarter of the 18th century (1700-1725) aboard a ship of either English or French crew with absolute certainty. In the absence of a corresponding breachloader, I cannot say if the use was with a swivel gun, or alone as a signal piece. It was recovered with tampion in place and gunpowder within, so there was some active use.

Given the date and possible usages, it seems at least moderately likely that the chamber itself is older than the context in which it was found, so I am attempting to determine an approximate date and country of manufacture (if this should prove possible).

Unfortunately, I am unable to post images of the piece in question. However, the chamber I am working with is virtually identical to one posted at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...45&postcount=3 (specifically the uppermost of two in the image at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/attach...id=35187&stc=1)

Overall proportion, handle attachment, touch-hole style and touch-hole placement are all identical. The one in image is attributed as 15th century German. I have contacted Bayerisches Armeemuseum Ingolstadt, and their attribution is without basis in comparison to knowns, but is simply a repetition of what the museum was told when they purchased the item. I am trying to find further evidence to confirm or deny that attribution.

To point, how would you all go about assigning a date to an object like this? I have the volume on artillery from Mary Rose, but have found no direct comparison. I am unaware of any other publications with a firm date range and a good selection of breechloading cannon and chambers. Are there other published sources that anyone knows of?

It is my general impression that earlier breech blocks are longer and narrower in proportion, but I am not sufficiently knowledgeable in this area to be even remotely sure of that. Is there any such definable progression of form through time? Has anyone written a typology of breech blocks?

And for anyone with a reasonable knowledge of and affection for breechloaders, what date would you assign the chamber in that image if there were no museum plaque to tell you?

Any information and opinions you all may have are welcome... I have been beating my head against this one for months now, and I need a fresh bit of thought on the matter.
E Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote