Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th March 2015, 06:19 PM   #1
blue lander

Default Busted up Barong

Just won the auction for my first Barong. It looks like there's quite a bit of damage to both the scabbard and the hilt and it looks like the edge is dinged up too. The wrapped bit below the bolster is missing. When I get it I'll etch the blade and see if the steel is laminated.
Attached Images

blue lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 07:11 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Blue,
was on my watch list but decided not to bid, the demage at the handle was to great, even when I have also a barong with a handle demage, see here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=barong
The blade from your barong is laminated for sure, you can see it at some of your pictures and should come out very good after a good polish and etch. The crack in the scabbard could be glued and the missing resin down from the handle could be supplemented. The wrapping could be restored very easy and I would polish the wood with car polish and after this oil it, the complete piece will look much better after this. Please post pictures after you have received it and from the steps of your restauration.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 03:10 PM   #3
blue lander

Thanks for the link, your barong came out really well. What do you recommend for polishing the blade? Is 2000 grit sandpaper mild enough?
blue lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 03:18 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lander
Thanks for the link, your barong came out really well. What do you recommend for polishing the blade? Is 2000 grit sandpaper mild enough?
Thank you! I start normally with 600 and go up to 1000, after this I polish with steel wool before I etch it.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote