Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 31st January 2019, 04:53 AM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default Surakarta Pendok (Pendhok) Paper

To be honest i only skimmed this paper but it seems very well researched and i do not believe it has been post on this forum yet. I will let other nitpick at the information and perhaps we can determine the veracity of the information contained therein.
http://wacanaseni.usm.my/WACANA%20SE...17/WS_17_4.pdf
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2019, 06:09 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Thank you very much for posting this paper David.

As you have remarked, it is well researched, I have many of the references in the bibliography, I have read others, some I do not know, but the approach to the writing of this paper is certainly academic. It is easy to follow, and in broad terms it gives a very good description of the Solo pendok and how it is produced.

However, it should be understood that the method of production that the writer describes is not universal, it is a method used in one family of craftsmen.

During the 1980's and 1990's I came to know an elderly m'ranggi in Jogja who was the last of his line, he produced the silver sheet used to form the pendok body by beating out a small ingot of silver that had been produced by melting the silver beads that silver comes as. The edges where the pendok was soldered were left very slightly thicker than the rest of the sheet, I forget the exact numbers of blows involved in leaving it thicker, but I do have a record of this and will advise after I have checked. Other craftsmen employ various different ways of doing things.

The "mould" that the writer mentions (sunglon/sanglon) is actually a mandrel around which the sheet is wrapped; a "kikir" is a file.

This is a really good overview of something that I doubt any collectors would know much about, you actually need to know personally, and be trusted by these craftsmen before you get to see this sort of thing. It is simply not in the public arena, it is select knowledge. It would be very easy to be pedantic and pick holes in this paper, but I absolutely will not do this, it is very good as it stands and is a valuable addition to keris literature.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2019, 01:52 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks for your feedback Alan. As you say, this is not the kind of information i believe most collectors have had much exposure to, myself included, but i recognize a well researched paper when i see one. I was, of course, being a bit facetious with my "nitpick" remark. I look forward to giving this more of a serious study in the coming days.
Old 31st January 2019, 06:36 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

There are some high quality pendok shown in this paper, I have some of this templek style are really quite exceptional, and I will post some pics, but I'm away from home for about a week, so this will have to wait.

I'll go through this again, very carefully, and see if I can find anything that is outright incorrect, rather than being a variation in opinion or work method or spelling, and if I can, I'll comment.
Old 1st February 2019, 10:06 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

I have now looked very closely at this paper.

As I commented in my previous post, it would be very easy to be critical of it. The English has the sense of being a translation, but it is not noted as such; there is a peculiar usage of language, and it is sometimes not possible to know what the correct word should be, we can only guess. The writing has the appearance of being well researched, however, if we look closely at the sources used for research, some of those sources are questionable, and some of the statements that have flowed from the use of those sources seem to be influenced by the ongoing low level conflict between those aligned with Surakarta and those aligned with Yogyakarta. Some parts of the actual process of fabrication have been omitted, or perhaps were missed or misunderstood.

However, all of that petty and pedantic comment should be set to one side.

Nothing like this has been previously attempted, and as an overall description of the process and inclusive background information it is ground breaking work.

One could not use the information provided in this paper to make a pendok, but as an overview of the process involved it does give those with a general interest in the matters addressed a good foundation of understanding.
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:27 AM   #6
Jean

Frankly I found this paper interesting but some descriptions are not clear, for instance:
. The description of pendok slorok in page 123
. The mention of "galvanising" process in pages 127 & 128
The pictures of the pendok making process are very useful for illustrating the text but they are too small.
The author mentions the name "tangguh nom" (young period) for the Mataram period from 1584 to 1788 (page 118), or from 1614 to 1945 (page 117) but according to the EK for instance tangguh nom-noman or nem-neman rather covers the recent period from mid 19th century to WW2?
I don't feel ready to make a pendok yet
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:20 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Yes Jean, this paper does have deficiencies, but nobody else, to my knowledge, has ever attempted anything like this. It had never even occurred to me to write something about it, even though I have seen a number of craftsmen doing this work, a number of times, both Solo and Jogja.

Also, it was written by (I believe) a graphic designer, not an historian, or somebody connected with keris, or even somebody familiar with metal working.

So it has holes in it.

But for the average collector, it gives him heaps more than he already has.

Nom-noman, nem-nemen, nam-naman (with the diacritic ring) is Sultan Agungan to present, well, at least that is what keris literate people in the 1970's &1980's in Solo reckoned it was. Sultan Agung assumed his role in 1614.

This "Kemardikan" classification is very recent, and an innovation of those who have controlled the keris trade in recent years. It is useful, certainly, and appropriate, but to my my mind it is a sub-division of nom-noman, just like HB, Koripan, Godean, Surakarta and so on.

It is true that keris manufacture stopped during the reign of PBXI, there were still pande, there were still people who could be referred to as "empu", but manufacture of weapons was prohibited under the Japanese occupation.

Thus, if we wish to end nom-noman (ie, "young" keris, nom from anom = young) classification prior to today, we should end it at 1939 or 1940. Or maybe in February 1939 when PBX left for a better place, or April 1939 when PBXI began occupation of the throne, or maybe from 1942 when the Japanese began occupation of the old Dutch East Indies. I reckon whatever date we pick, somebody will want to argue with us.

But one thing is true:- a "keris non-noman" is a "young keris", a keris that came off the bench yesterday cannot be anything other than young. According to my understanding "nom-noman" is Sultan Agungan to right now.
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:06 AM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

This shorter paper looks to have some of the same info in it along with some different stuff as well. Could serve as a good companion piece.

http://repository.isi-ska.ac.id/2419...RTA%20KRIS.pdf

Jean, these are in PDF form and you should be able to enlarge the page somewhat. While this still won't make the photos showing the making of a pendok extremely large i don't believe the intentional this paper was to be a how to for interested makers.
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:22 AM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

It can truly be amazing sometimes when you ask Uncle Google and he is there for you. This appears to be yet another academic paper on Surakarta Pendoks. While it is clear that this author is using many of the same sources there are still different illustrations and information to be found in this one as well.
I think i have a bit of reading to do.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 545-1331-1-SM.pdf (447.5 KB, 955 views)
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:37 AM   #10
A. G. Maisey

This new one looks to be better David, it has info. on how to identify pendok motifs. We know that most, if not all the pendok motifs come from batik motifs, often reworked, and this new paper seems to give info on that, which would be useful for keris people with no background in traditional Javanese motifs.

I have around a dozen books that deal with batik, and a couple of pendok pattern books that are foto-copies of maker's pattern books, if I cannot name a pendok motif from a pattern book, I then turn to the batik books.

I'll read this new one carefully as soon as I get a chance.

Jean, if you use Foxit Phantom to download the PDF you will find you can take enlargement up into several thousand magnifications, but the images you are talking about lose resolution after about 300X. Actually, the resolution is lousy no matter how low you take it, but I know what I'm looking at and my mind is filling in the spaces, I agree, if one is not familiar with this stuff, the images are pretty useless.
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:46 AM   #11
A. G. Maisey

David, your post #9.

Yep, got a copy of this too, pity it was not all left in BI.

I wonder if the original is on the net? That little bit of BI at the beginning seems to indicate it was.
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:07 AM   #12
drdavid

Same author on all of these. Alan, if you want a BI version you might get it by emailing the author who lists contact email
Drd
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:20 AM   #13
A. G. Maisey

Yes David, Guntur is involved in all these publications, but they seem to have appeared in different publications and to vary somewhat.

I've read the first one carefully, I have not yet had time to look closely at the other two. After reading the first one, I felt that I was looking at a translation, and thought there might have been an original in BI, but now I am not so sure.

Why would an Indonesian academic publish in English? It doesn't make sense ---well, to me it doesn't make sense.

The only thing that an original in BI might do is to clarify some of the words used. Everything in these papers, I know myself in any case, so it would not add to my knowledge, but it would be of interest to me from a language point of view.I will not try to contact the author, I'd just as soon not incur a debt.
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:16 PM   #14
kai

Smile

Hello Alan,

Quote:
Why would an Indonesian academic publish in English? It doesn't make sense ---well, to me it doesn't make sense.
Well, academia worldwide publishes in English, especially if it wants to make any impact. Partly, because publications in other languages tend to get ignored, partly because it confers a bit of status over publishing the same paper in an "odd" language, and last not least because the major journals only accept MSs in English...

Quote:
I will not try to contact the author, I'd just as soon not incur a debt.
Theoretically, in academia this would be regarded as obligation rather than something which incurs a debt. I'm aware that this probably would be seen a bit differently in some countries and circles though...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2019, 08:31 PM   #15
A. G. Maisey

Kai, your comment on the reason for use of English is undoubtedly correct, and in fact, for a few years now there has been a general tendency in several fields, in Indonesia, notably amongst TV presenters, to break into English at the drop of a hat. It is seen as a status thing and draws some rather scathing comments from the general public.So status, yes, major journals, yes.Additionally, the audience for whom it was intended, even if Indonesian, would mostly read English, I believe.

So perhaps my comment was ill-considered, but then, I do not often think long and carefully before commenting, I mostly tend to shoot from the hip.

It that part of Indonesia where this writer is located, each sub-culture, and academia is a sub-culture, reflects the mores of the society at large. As I have said, my interest in an original (if one exists) is focused on use of language, it is not focused on the information contained in the paper. I would much rather not pursue the matter, bearing in mind my reason for doing so.