Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th August 2008, 06:37 PM   #1
sjors

Default very small "keris"

In 1992 I was a few weeks for business in Menteng, Jakarta and stayed there at the house of an older couple. I talked regularly with the older man, among other things, about kerissen. On the eve of my departure, he offered me a very small keris as a present and told me that the sheat, mendak and ukiran were contemporary but the keris itself was older.
Back home I showed it to friend jeweller who confirmed that the gold on it was really gold. As far as I can see it's a "real" pamor (nothing artificial about it).
My questions are: is this realy a keris or is it a kerislike object made for tourists, does it's size look familiar to you, to put it simple: what are we talking about?
Attached Images

sjors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

A Patrem ?
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 08:27 PM   #3
sjors

Hello Rick,

A Patrem? I thougt about that possibility but I had the impression (please correct me if I'm wrong) that most Patrem are more a kind of "shorter" version of a "normal" keris. This keris has half the length and half the width and thickness of a "standard" keris...
sjors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 09:11 PM   #4
Henk

Yes Rick, a Patrem. Dress is new made but a lovely keris with a nice singa. Very well executed in my opinion.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 10:26 PM   #5
tunggulametung

Hello Sjors,
My impression from the given picture, I think it is a gift keris. I believe older doesn't always mean old and it is more difficult to find artificial pamor than the real one, but there are range of quality on pamor work.
Thanks
tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote