Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th February 2011, 07:57 PM   #1
laEspadaAncha

Default A true American firearm: the Kentucky Long Rifle

I thought I would post something a little different for the forum's collective consumption.

The Kentucky Long Rifle represents a true American firearm, from the day of pioneers on the frontier, when one shot was the difference between filling your belly or going hungry. This is the type of rifle used by such famous early American frontiersmen as Davy Crockett. True pre-Civil War period Kentucky long rifle's are scarce and few in number. This example dates to ca. 1845-1850 and was made in North Carolina by North Carolina gunsmith Evan Johnson. The workmanship is beautiful - the photos don't quite do it justice.

Typical of the period, the lock was recycled from an earlier firearm. In this case, the lock is from an early-19th Century American firearm, and has an eagle stamp on the plate aft of the hammer. The stock is made of tiger-striped burled maple. The action made use of a dual trigger, the set trigger allowing for a very light pull. While monstrously heavy, with a length of nearly 5 1/2 feet (over 1.6 meters), the rifle is still quite manageable and could be fired off-hand without much trouble. I included a photo below showing it alongside a Pennsylvania rifle from the same period to show the significant difference in size. The rifled barrel exceeds four feet (about 123 cm!) in length, which would translate to a higher muzzle velocity, and greater accuracy at range.

I know it's not quite as early as what floats the boat of many forumites here, but hopefully it will not go unappreciated by the resident connoisseurs of antique firearms.

Last edited by laEspadaAncha; 9th February 2011 at 04:45 AM. Reason: ETA better photos...
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 09:08 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Chris,
Nice rifle you show there.
But tell me, once you have brought up this mystic weapon, why not posting the genuine thing ... the early flintlock version ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 02:55 AM   #3
laEspadaAncha

Hi 'Nando,

Thanks...

To answer your question, I guess the reason I posted this example as opposed to a flintlock variant is it's the only Kentucky long rifle I own!

And while not a flintlock, make no mistake, this is still the "genuine" article, still every bit as much a Kentucky long rifle as the flintlocks that preceded it.
Old 9th February 2011, 04:27 AM   #4
laEspadaAncha

As Fernando duly noted, the original Kentucky long rifles were developed during the flintlock era. The original gunsmiths responsible for their design were German immigrants who had immigrated to Pennsylvania during the early-middle 18th Century.

These gunsmiths recognized the need for a different rifle on the American frontier - a rifle that was more accurate, had a longer range, and was more efficient to use. The Kentucky long rifle met each of these requirements... the long barrel resulted in a more complete powder burn and greater muzzle velocity, which provided a flatter trajectory and greater accuracy at longer range. The reduced bore size (.36-.45 cal vs. the more predominant .50 cal of the day) meant that a frontiersman could produce more musket balls from the same volume of lead, an important advantage for the man alone on the frontier and unable to resupply. Also, the smaller shot size meant less powder was required to achieve the same velocity, again preserving precious resources that weren't readily available on the frontier.

The Kentucky long rifle also played an important role in both the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. During the latter conflict, riflemen from Kentucky and Tennessee armed with these very same rifles played an integral role in the lopsided victory during the Battle of New Orleans, where they picked off British soldiers at will. By the time the outcome of the battle was settled, American troops lost 21 soldiers to over 2,000 casualties suffered by the Brits.

The Kentucky long rifle would continue to play an important role in early American history well into the 19th century. By the late 19th century, breech loaders and lever guns were beginning to gain popularity (and accessibility) and succeed the Kentucky long rifle as the preferred long arm on the frontier. But while the Henry Repeating Rifle and the Winchester '94 would go on to become iconic American firearms, the Kentucky long rifle was - and forever will remain - the first truly American fire arm.

Here's one such early example as noted by Fernando. This one, housed in the National Firearm Museum curated by the NRA, is unusual in possessing a double set trigger, an alteration that while more common in percussion cap variants was particularly rare among flintlock examples.

Last edited by laEspadaAncha; 9th February 2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 9th February 2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Norman McCormick

Hi,
Absolutely gorgeous rifles, along with my wife I have taken up sporting and prone rifle shooting again after a 30 year hiatus and I really appreciate a nice firearm and the skill involved in making one of these is impressive to say the least. I narrowly missed an early 19thC Austrian target rifle at auction recently and I've been kicking myself ever since. I used to hunt with a Mannlicher Schoenauer fullstock (stutzen) in Win .308 with a double set trigger a gorgeous rifle unfortunately no longer with me . A lot of Scots/Irish fought for their freedom in the A.W.I. with this type of rifle to devastating effect, Kings Mountain I believe was a good example of an A.W.I. engagement fought predominantly with this type of weapon. Nice rifles, if any other members have
any examples of early American long rifles or 19thC European target/sporting rifles I would be interested in seeing them.
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 06:34 PM   #6
laEspadaAncha

Hi Norman,

Thank you! These exhibit a degree of workmanship that is unheard of now outside of high-end hunting rifles and O/U or side-by-side shotguns. While modern improvements in technology and manufacturing processes make available a degree of precision and accuracy unheard of 150 years ago (and earlier), skilled marksmen accomplished feats in their day that would be difficult for the run-of-the-mill better-than-average shooter to accomplish today. In one engagement during the American Revolutionary War / A.W.I., famous frontiersman Daniel Boone, armed with an early Kentucky long rifle, sniped an English officer with a center-placed headshot from a distance later measured to be 250 yards. That roughly translates to MOA accuracy, quite impressive for an 18th century rifled musket! I punch paper with a tactical .308 that - when I do my part - is capable of sub .5-MOA groups at 100 yards while shooting prone off bags. However, between 200-300 yards, I am fortunate enough - with decent glass and a head full of serenity - to keep it consistently around 1 MOA. What sharpshooters did in the 18th and 19th century with these rifles is nothing short of amazing.

Speaking of Daniel Boone, his father was one of the sharpshooters who fought along with the Patriot militias at Kings Mountain.

What's so impressive about the long rifle is how well-balanced it is given its seemingly ungainly length. As I mention in the original post in this thread, it is not difficult to shoulder this rifle, and it would be manageable firing offhand.

I would love to shoot this one, but given its value would be awfully remorseful to add any wear and tear. However, the other rifle I show along with it, a Pennsylvannia-smithed Plains rifle (another iconic early American rifle), looks like it wants to be shot.

Regards,

Chris
Old 9th February 2011, 06:38 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Absolutely beautiful rifle Chris, and thank you for posting it with along with such a great write up as well!!! Like the long rifle itself, your well written detail is right on target
Interesting notes Norman as well. While always a sword guy, you guys have really sparked my interest in these fantastic and historic guns.

It really is interesting that these rifled guns had a bit of a slow start militarily, and were originally hunting guns, with smaller caliber and the long barrel to gain velocity. That is about the extent of my ballistics understanding.

It seems that these were a reflection of the rather unique tactics of the irregular forces against the British in the American Revolution. These guns were slow to load, thus were not too compatible with the smoothbore muskets of the time, which were loaded at three times the speed. Also, in pitched combat, accuracy was irrelevant when it became nearly impossible to see targets through the voluminous smoke produced in volley fire of British muskets.
As far as I know, none of these were fitted with bayonets, which was a key concern in warfare as once discharged, the soldier was vulnerable to impending attackers. One unit which was actually issued rifles by the government (Daniel Morgan's) concerned George Washington on this issue, and he ordered them to get spears for backup. The axe (tomahawk) became the most typically used secondary weapon by these riflemen as they neatly slid into the belt as opposed to the awkward spear or pole type weapon.

The reason for the success of the long rifle was due to the guerilla type tactics and accurate fire of the men using them. Most of the regular units of course used European type military muskets. Another problem with the rifle was lack of standardization in the military application, as thier calibers as well as individual dynamics varied so much. Still, the obvious effectiveness of these guns is legendary.

I think that the long rifle stands as a symbolic true American weapon is that it represents the character and innovation of the American colonists. While these were of course, the work of German immigrants originally, it was a country of immigrants, from many countries, all together seeking an ideal.
It was effective in the sense that it was used, though not immediately effective in a regulation military sense. It was a hunting weapon, which became employed against a military foe, by common men with remarkably uncommon valor. Therefore, like them, a true American icon, and as Chris notes, the first of the new Country.

When the acclaim of these marksmen with hunting rifles became well established with the British, it is said that George Washingon wanted to encourage the wearing of 'hunting shirts' among the men, as it suggested that all who wore them were such 'marksmen'. It seems that in much this same sense years later, during the Civil War, Berdan when developing his two units of 'Sharpshooters' for the Union army, the 2nd US Sharpshooters were primarily young woodsmen/ marksmen from Minnesota, and thier first 'uniforms' were the checkered woodsman type flannel shirts. Later, they were issued green uniforms (as opposed to Union blue, and mindful of the green worn by British rifle regiments in the 19th century). In the same manner, it is said these men in green were much feared as snipers by the Confederate forces.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 07:47 PM   #8
fernando

Fascinating, Chris !
It is really amazing to see flintlocks equiped with a 'hair' trigger, something i would never realized
On the other hand, it is noteworthy that, exceptional sharp shooters like David Crockett, besides others already mentioned, could made their day without such a device ... that we know of.
I used to have two weapons with hair trigger: a saloon pistol and a magnificent olympic shuetzen, both in .22 caliber. But as i don't practice shooting and they were 'too modern' to be legal without a licence, i swaped them for earlier firearms .
Old 9th February 2011, 08:49 PM   #9
laEspadaAncha

Cap'n Jim!

I see ye ship Work Horse has survived these Arctic strains and am always honored to welcome ye aboard me thread!

You're absolutely right in that it was the right tool for the tactics employed by Colonial forces... When one presents a volley fired by a rigid line of troops, aimed toward an opposing formation of the enemy, precision took a second seat to the sheer volume of shot, sustained by sheer numbers of men. To successfully engage an opposing force using guerilla tactics, accuracy was a necessary condition.

After reading Norman's post referencing the battle at King's Mountain, I did a little reading on the engagement, and it was interesting to read that the Patriot militias would break off their engagement every time the Loyalists would mount a bayonet charge, as they could not affix bayonets to their hunting rifles!

I would have to believe the tactics employed by the sharpshooters were a natural by-product of life on the frontier, where in addition to the skill required to hunt game, frontiersmen were often confronted by an equally stealthy foe in the hostile Native Americans hell-bent on driving the encroaching settlers off their ancestral lands.

Thank you as well for bridging the timeline of the discussion to include the Civil War. It is not difficult to imagine this rifle in the hands of a Confederate sharpshooter in one of North Carolina militia units that fought in the conflict... On the flip side of that coin, the same Sharps rifle used by the U.S. 2nd Sharpshooters was featured last night on the season premier of Top Shot! Sharpshooters have played an integral role in every major conflict in which we have fought, and their history is a long and storied one indeed.

'Nando - The hair trigger on the Plains rifle is indeed a hair trigger! I have the trigger pull on my .308 set to a shade under 3 lbs... which is light. I would estimate the trigger pull on the long rifle to be just a shade under my .308. But with the Plains rifle, once the set trigger is pulled, I swear the air around my finger is enough to release the hammer!

The dual set trigger acted as a safety of sorts, allowing the primary trigger to be set to a very light pull. Breathing and trigger control are the two keys to precision shooting... poor control of the former results in a vertical spread, while poor control of the latter results in a loss of horizontal precision. The lighter a trigger pull, the less the tendency to literally "pull" the trigger. A light pull = a very gentle squeeze. The long rifle also has an additional integral safety, as the set trigger must be pulled before the hammer will cock, an interesting feature that again speaks to the quality of workmanship that went into its manufacture.
Old 9th February 2011, 09:06 PM   #10
fernando

I have read that in cold (Nordic) countries, target shooters have a different hair trigger setting between summer and winter, to compensate the (triggering) finger stiffness.