Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th February 2022, 03:34 AM   #1
Cathey

Default Hunting Tulwar (Tulwar Shikargah)

Hi Guys

Jens Nordlunde mentioned that the Indian Arms and Armour collectors have been very quiet for some time on this site so I thought I might try and kick it off again.

Whilst we are predominantly early British sword collectors, our interest in Indian Arms and Armour has been renewed of late and we have even started buying again.

After acquiring this Indian Hunting Tulwar (Tulwar Shikargah) I have decided to attempt writing an article on Indian Hunting weapons for my Society Magazine Barrels and Blades. However, I have really not been able to track down a great deal of information on these (plenty of examples but not much text) and I am hoping that some of the forum members might be able to contribute more insight into this unusual family of swords and daggers. I know they come in a large variety of forms from Tulwar to Shamshire, even Katars etc.

Even the spelling of the name for this variety of edged weapon varies greatly including: Tulwar Shikargah / Shamshir Shikargar / shamshir shikargarh/ SHIKARI OR SHIKARGAHA.

This project is becoming expensive as I have already felt the need to increase my library.

What I found interesting in this particular Tulwar is that the hunting scenes vary on each side and the number of animals included.

Regards Cathey
Attached Images

Cathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 07:53 AM   #2
mariusgmioc

Excellent example you have! Congratulations for the acquisition!

However, from all I know, these tulwars are called "hunting tulwars" because of the hunting scenes engraved on their blades and not because they were actually used for hunting.

In fact, almost all of them have very poor quality steel blades, too soft to be of any practical use.

They became popular after the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London (and continued afterwards) as souvenirs and collector items for the Western, mainly British, visitors.

They come in various qualities and yours is definitely from the top tier, with deep, high quality engravings.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 01:43 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Cathey,

Excellent carving on that blade! I'm afraid I can't add any further information about these particular swords. As you have found, there is not a lot of readily accessible information on them. Hopefully, some of our members can help. Congratulations on a good find.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 02:29 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathey View Post
Even the spelling of the name for this variety of edged weapon varies greatly including: Tulwar Shikargah / Shamshir Shikargar / shamshir shikargarh/ SHIKARI OR SHIKARGAHA...
And don't forget the spelling Talwar, preferred by many authors as the correct term, which will open further doors to your research.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 06:40 PM   #5
Norman McCormick

Hi Cathey,
Not just bladed weapons, here is a chiselled steel shield of mine, 45cm across, also with hunting scenes. The reverse has some kind of pitch on it probably as a fixative for a cloth lining. The large photo has rather flat lighting the very small image gives a clearer indication of the depth of chiselling.
My Regards,
Norman.

Our friend Jim McDougall noted:-
This shield is as noted a 19th century item, most likely a ceremonial piece and Rajput. The sunburst in the center boss is a typical theme, and is seen not only on Rajput 'dhal's (the Indian term applied to these circular shields) from Rajasthan, but examples to the east in Punjab as well. The sun is symbol for one of the three primary Rajput clans.
The theme with the animals may suggest the hunt, which with warriors in India was not only key as a sporting event, but also kept combat skills in use of weapons well honed. Naturally the shield was not required in hunting, but the theme here may well also be allegorically intended. Tipu Sultan often used such zoomorphic themes with himself and forces represented by the tiger and the animal prey representing enemies.
Attached Images

Last edited by Norman McCormick; 11th February 2022 at 06:57 PM.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 07:11 PM   #6
Norman McCormick

Hi Cathey,
Another take on a hunting motif albeit a lot less prominent. This Tulwar hilted Kora of mine has a figure on the blade hunting with a 'boomerang' an image Jens was able to explain. This blade is definitely not a parade item so I can only guess the hunting motif has some significance other than sheer decoration.
My Regards,
Norman.
P.S. The stand of arms has an Indian 'boomerang' used for hunting hares at the apex.
Attached Images

Old 12th February 2022, 08:04 PM   #7
BBJW

I suspect the tulwar hilt is a later addition to this kora.-- bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 10:31 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Norman!!!!
The interesting 'kora' you have there (I remember it from some great discussions on it and items with similar motif years back) is I believe from Bengal, and close to the border regions with Nepal, hence the odd pairing of kora blade and tulwar hilt.
These, as I have understood, have religious ritual significance of sorts, and may have sacrificial associations like the ram dao.
My example has similar symbolic designs and remnants of red paint inside the pommel disc...the markings on the hilt are I think Bengali.

Cathey, a wonderful example of these impressive blades, which I think were more aligned with court or diplomatic presentation use than actual hunting weapons. With the Mughals, the royal hunt (shikar) derives from the Mongol 'qamargah' (=ring hunt) which is more of a 'battle plan' where men making noise and disturbance drive the animal into a surrounded setting, there it is killed by the royal figure who presides over the hunt.

The Mughals of course, are descended from the Mongols, so these traditions prevail. As Rajputs were also a warrior race, the hunt was similarly important symbolically to represent the strength of the ruler.
The hunt was an event shared by Mughals and Rajputs as they worked out their alliances.

The Mughal attraction to depictions of flora and fauna in their art extended to their weapons and their Sh'ia religious metaphors. The representations of these animals and settings are found, as Norman pointed out, not just on swords but other weapon forms which provided panels for this symbolic art.

A good source for more on these might be a catalog of the exhibition "Decorous and Deadly Weapons of the Royal Hunt" at the Met in New York, Sept. 10, 2015.

While these highly decorated tulwars and shamshirs were unlikely of course to have been used in actuality, they are most important items of Mughal and in degree Rajput figures of high station.

As of course, usual, as noted, the 1851 exhibition heightened collector interest in Indian arms and these immediately were dubbed 'hunting swords'.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2022, 05:57 PM   #9
Norman McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJW View Post
I suspect the tulwar hilt is a later addition to this kora.-- bbjw
I wouldn't think so.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Old 13th February 2022, 07:47 PM   #10
BBJW

I just said I 'suspect' as I have seen several kukris that were circa 1900 that had been fitted with tulwar hilts. I have 2 old koras that are very black with age and have barely visible lotus flowers at the end of the blades.-- bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2022, 05:19 AM   #11
Cathey

Default Hunting Tulwars etc

Thankyou Norman

Would you mind if I include your shield in my article? From what I have been able to find there are certainly early references to these heavily engraved items as early as the 18th century. It appears Tulwars and in particular Katars where often used for hunting particularly from horseback.

Interestingly the one I acquired recently is well balanced and has an extremely sharp edge. Previously I had always dismissed these items as temple swords, it hadn’t occurred to me that they were actually hunting weapons.

Cheers Cathey
Cathey is offline   Reply With Quote