Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th February 2014, 07:56 PM   #1
DaveS

Default Moro kris with copper scabbard

Here is a moro kris with a copper scabbard inlaid with silver. The handle is also copper with silver inlays, The blade is 20 inches long with a copper strip running the full length. The scabbard is made of three pieces of copper but there is no wooden core. The pieces are simply shaped and then soldered. The whole thing is fairly heavy. Is this a presentation kris or just a tourist piece? Seems to me that this was an awfull lot of work for very little return if it was just to sell to some tourist. Thoughts......Dave.
Attached Images

DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 08:52 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I think this is a rather recent piece Dave and i don't image that it was created for any official presentation, but i would be interested to hear other opinions on it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 11:20 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

David is on the money. I think these are being made in Marawi City in Maranao territory, which explains the Maranao okir. This is the 2nd or 3rd I have seen in the past 10 years. Very recent.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 01:35 AM   #4
DaveS

Well, we know for sure that it's at least close to 30 years old because we have had it almost that long. So then these all-metal scabbards are still being made? Regardless, the workmanship is really great!!! You can't even see most of the solder lines when taking a close look..........Dave.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 08:51 PM   #5
imas560

Hello All,
is the pointiness of the luk and the pattern in the gangya the big indicators for this item being of more recent make?
thanks
imas560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 09:04 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by imas560
Hello All,
is the pointiness of the luk and the pattern in the gangya the big indicators for this item being of more recent make?
thanks
Yes. They point to from often the late 1930s to the 1990s. Only very recently are they now curving the luk again in Marawi City, but still in a manner that is different from the 1910s back.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote