Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st October 2022, 03:09 PM   #1
Gonzoadler

Default Field saber (?) for comments

Hello,

I have this elegant saber in my collection and want to know more about it. So I would appreciate if you share your knowledge with me.
It was sold as 17th century hunting saber. The time period seems plausible to me, but I doubt the use as hunting weapon. The thumb ring on the handle makes not much sense for that purpose and on the pommel you can see knights with horses but no hunting scenes. Also the blade reminds me more of 17th century swiss or german field sabers.
The handle is decorated with nice iron cuts and the wiring of the handle is well made in my eyes. So I wouldn't think that this was a weapon for a "normal guy", rather an officer or nobleman.
What do you think was the purpose of this weapon, what is it's origin and what could be a plausible range of time when the saber was made?
I would say that all parts including the wiring are original and nothing was replaced, but what do you think?

Dimensions:
total 89.5cm
blade 75cm

Regards
Robin
Attached Images

Gonzoadler is offline   Reply With Quote