Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 24th May 2014, 09:36 PM   #1
Protector

Default My Knobkerries (?)

Here is my current collection of Knobkerries accumulated from various antique stores and yard sales. The question mark in the title is because none of them were purchased as Knobkerries. Of the four in the first picture, the third one down was labeled 'primitive drumstick' and the fourth one down was a 'carved wand'. The other two simply had price tags. The bottom two photos are of my largest Knobkerrie at 36 inches long. This one was tucked into a corner with old canes.
So my question to the experts here is. Are they Knobkerries? and can you shed any additional information or insight into possible age, what area are they from, etc.? Any and all comments are welcome.
Attached Images

Protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 02:56 PM   #2
graeme gt

The last one is the best and a knobkerrie,the others all look modern to me .
graeme gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 08:29 AM   #3
kronckew

most of those are not zulu iwisa,

top ones looks like a maasi rungu like mine: (both 22 in. long)
(the light one is olive wood, the dark one is ebony)

the slightly swollen and conical pointed grip end seems distinctive for these east african clubs. they also tend to have a small nipple or conical protrusion on the ball end top or side on the offset ones.

the knobkerrie (iwisa) tends to be cut off square and follows the natural taper of the wood, tho some have a flare.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 26th May 2014 at 09:41 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 08:46 AM   #4
kronckew

and my zulu iwisa i got from so. africa...

it's made of 'assegai' wood (Curtisia faginea - also known as cape lancewood). it's a strong, dense and heavy wood. the boers would use it for load bearing wagon spokes, but didn't like working it as it blunted their saws and tools and was hard to carve. it's about 32 in. long.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 26th May 2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 26th May 2014, 09:02 AM   #5
kronckew

more iwisas (not mine) which were UK soldiers bring backs from the zulu war in the 19c. the long ones were more like badges of office & probably carried by the more elderly indunas or izindunas leading the impis. most of these are likely made from 'assagai'; wood. some were made entirely from rhino horn and are/were highly prized. and impossible to buy or otherwise obtain nowadays.

my old neighbor in fairford, glos. UK had one like the 7th from the left hanging over the door to his kitchen. he'd inherited it from his grandfather who got it from his father. he had no idea what it was, he just liked it. he thought it was some sort of farm impliment. being honest i told him what it was and it's likely history and value. i probably could have bought it off him for a song, but that wouldn't be fair.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 26th May 2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 26th May 2014, 07:22 PM   #6
Protector

Thanks for all the information and references. Most of what I know about items like these come from this website and few others. I would estimate 90%of my ethnic weapon collection is from yard sales and 'Mom & Pop' antique stores, with labels like 'Club?' or just a price. It is great to find out some history, where they are from, how they might have been used, etc.
Protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 06:31 AM   #7
kronckew

this forum has tons of useful info. the clubs of the oceanic islands and new zealand have lots of info and pictures and some of them actually using or wearing/carrying them. a forum search on 'clubs' will bring up a large number of threads and hours of reading.