Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th May 2021, 07:12 AM   #1
Mefidk

Thanks Pindang

Here is the next set. These are what I think are the typical Songye axes. In size and shaft form they are very similar to the previous set, but the blades are more traditional in form, strengthened along the upper and lower edge by a T-section.
The three of this form that I have range from the rather utilitarian to standard, but there are examples out there with blades with brass inlaid decoration. These seem by and large usable examples and perhaps have a less ceremonial function than the previous set. Axes with this general form seem to occur over the whole Songye range, but there are variations in the details. Apart from the shafts there is little in common with the Nsapo type with the heads.

Decoration on the blade seems to involve holes, moon-shapes, and a kind of snake or rope-like pattern as on these. Rarely you get an inlaid head. Like the other axes monitor or snake skin or copper are often used to cover the shaft, but these also often turn up with no covering as in the example I have. The bottom of the shaft is usually flared, for some reason at some point the flaring has been removed from mine to leave a widened but rounded end.

I think my third example is snake skin, probably some kind of python (ball?). Light spots on a dark background is not very common.
Attached Images

Mefidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 04:29 AM   #2
pindang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefidk View Post
Thanks Pindang

Here is the next set. These are what I think are the typical Songye axes. In size and shaft form they are very similar to the previous set, but the blades are more traditional in form, strengthened along the upper and lower edge by a T-section.
The three of this form that I have range from the rather utilitarian to standard, but there are examples out there with blades with brass inlaid decoration. These seem by and large usable examples and perhaps have a less ceremonial function than the previous set. Axes with this general form seem to occur over the whole Songye range, but there are variations in the details. Apart from the shafts there is little in common with the Nsapo type with the heads.

Decoration on the blade seems to involve holes, moon-shapes, and a kind of snake or rope-like pattern as on these. Rarely you get an inlaid head. Like the other axes monitor or snake skin or copper are often used to cover the shaft, but these also often turn up with no covering as in the example I have. The bottom of the shaft is usually flared, for some reason at some point the flaring has been removed from mine to leave a widened but rounded end.

I think my third example is snake skin, probably some kind of python (ball?). Light spots on a dark background is not very common.
Mefidk, I just picked up this axe. It’s similar to the first examples you posted. This is my first African piece. It’s pretty cool !
Attached Images

pindang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 04:26 PM   #3
Mefidk

Congratulations Pingdang, that is a really nice first axe (or even first African piece). Its a Nsapo axe (they are a subgroup of the Songye). Very nice example of the type with ropelike metalwork and copper covered shaft.
I would say that this blade edge shape is a bit less common than most of the ones I posted, being almost an exact pair to the axe in the second part of first group.
You might want to gently remove the active rust, especially if you live in a damp climate - fine wire wool works wonders.
Btw that black coating on the blade is probably soot - it was used to protect the weapons in the early 20C after they were collected. Its quite common to see these Congo axes looking black.
Old 15th May 2021, 01:18 PM   #4
Marc M.

Default Songye axes

Hi Chris
A late reaction on your songye axes, a great group off axes, as your intrest in African weapons in is reasonable new i recommend buying a bigger house, its a bit addictive. Been collecting for the almost 30 years and my only problem is space , my lovely wife do not want it in the living space so i've got the smalest room in the house (not the toilet). There is a little book about the songye axes , kilonda, both authors are or had been a member off this forum.
A interesting book , i included a foto from the cover and a foto from my songye/ tetela axes.
Best regards
Marc
Attached Images

Marc M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2021, 08:36 PM   #5
Mefidk

Hi Marc
I had no idea Luc had published this book. I guess its hard to find (I will try!).
Thanks for the information.

Glad to know there is another addict out there. I've been collecting for 20 yrs, but only just recently got into the Congo, and decided to focus on axes.

Yep, space is a problem. I share the house with about 40 kaskaras, and 200 or so pointy other things (and my wife). Now the little collection of Congo items seems to be growing faster than I can make space. I should sell some stuff, but I can rarely bare to part with anything At least axes are usually smaller than kaskara - and can be put on stands on shelves.

That is a nice set of axes you have there. Please, if you can, post some more pictures of your collection, I'd be really interested to see someone else's take on Songye axes.
/Chris
Old 16th May 2021, 08:15 AM   #6
Marc M.

Quote:
Hi Marc
I had no idea Luc had published this book. I guess its hard to find (I will try!).
Thanks for the information.

Glad to know there is another addict out there. I've been collecting for 20 yrs, but only just recently got into the Congo, and decided to focus on axes.

Yep, space is a problem. I share the house with about 40 kaskaras, and 200 or so pointy other things (and my wife). Now the little collection of Congo items seems to be growing faster than I can make space. I should sell some stuff, but I can rarely bare to part with anything At least axes are usually smaller than kaskara - and can be put on stands on shelves.

That is a nice set of axes you have there. Please, if you can, post some more pictures of your collection, I'd be really interested to see someone else's take on Songye axes.
/Chris
Hi
Chris
A few 100 sharp things in the house , seems like a nice collection.
Would like to see some pictures also especialy the kaskaras.
The only axes i have are those 3, half off my collection is metal ( i'm a blacksmith / worker) metal but i shall take a few pictures from my things.
regards
Marc
Marc M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2021, 08:50 AM   #7
Mefidk

Marc, I'll send you a pm and then I can share collection pictures of kaskara, no need to bore everyone else. I remember now that you posted about the Ethiopian kaskara not long ago. Seems like our interests are quite well aligned.
If you can only have three Songye axes then those are very nice ones to pick. Although I have a suspicion that the one in the front is drifting out of Songye. The one striking similarity in these axes is that the shaft shape is very consistent. This changes as e.g. Luba and Tetela variants come in. I'm originally trained as a biologist and this reminds me of the question of speciation - when do we say its species A or B or a sub-species. For these weapons there is so much influence of inter-tribal dynamics and cross-over between types (let alone the scarcity of data on collection), that it seems hard to attribute a rigid classification.

Being a blacksmith I bet means you can make your own stands. I think that adds a nice dimension to be able to create your own display.
Old 15th May 2021, 06:25 PM   #8
pindang

Quote:
Congratulations Pingdang, that is a really nice first axe (or even first African piece). Its a Nsapo axe (they are a subgroup of the Songye). Very nice example of the type with ropelike metalwork and copper covered shaft.
I would say that this blade edge shape is a bit less common than most of the ones I posted, being almost an exact pair to the axe in the second part of first group.
You might want to gently remove the active rust, especially if you live in a damp climate - fine wire wool works wonders.
Btw that black coating on the blade is probably soot - it was used to protect the weapons in the early 20C after they were collected. Its quite common to see these Congo axes looking black.

Thank you so much for the info and the tips sir, have a great weekend!
pindang is offline   Reply With Quote