Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 28th December 2012, 10:38 PM   #1
POINTY

Default Malaitan Clubs?

Hey everyone, my name is Chris. I joined this forum to seek information on what appear to be two basic Malaitan clubs from what I've gathered. I have absolutely no knowledge on weaponry of this sort and want to know what exactly it is I have and if they are worth anything.
I have two clubs:

The first is light brown in color and is fairly light. It has "MALAITA" carved into the wood on one side and on the other what looks like "STEPHANUS." It measures about 19 inches in length.

The second is darker in color and is significantly heavier. This club was dropped at one point and has a crack on one side of the "diamond-like" shape that makes the head of the club. It is slightly larger measuring about 21 inches.

Any information on these would be much appreciated.
Attached Images

POINTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 02:54 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
THE ISLAND OF MALAITA IS THE LARGEST AND MOST POPULATED IN THE SOLOMON ISLANDS. THE SMALLER CLUB MAY BE TEAK THE LARGER ONE IS PALM WOOD. THIS SIZE OF CLUB IS THE MOST COMMON FORM ENCOUNTERED FROM THE SOLOMONS AS MANY WERE BROUGHT BACK DURING WW2 AND EVER SINCE, THEY WERE SMALL ENOUGH TO FIT A SUITCASE SO MADE A GOOD SOUVINEER. THERE IS QUITE A BIT OF INFORMATION ON THE NET ON MALAITA AND THE SOLOMONS. WE DON'T DISCUSS PRICES HERE ON THE FORUM BUT YOU CAN PROBABLY FIND EXAMPLES ON EBAY. GOOD LUCK.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Very nice and I especially like the smaller one. Here is the one I have 30 inches long but still not the longest that can be found. Some like mine are broad at the head others are not so broad but often thicker. I would tend to agree with all that Barry has said. However I do not think all short versions are ww2 and after souvenirs. I believe many older looking shorter versions like yours appear to be, are Malatian throwing clubs. In the same way that various throwing club forms are found on other Islands in the Solomon group. As I have mentioned to me yousr look pre 1940. We do not talk money openly here but what a shame there is writing on one of them. I would still enjoy owning them.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 29th December 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote