Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th September 2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Dmitry

Default Italian broadsword, 1500s-1600s ?

My primary source on Italian weapons is the venerable Armi Bianche Italiani by Boccia. As with other representative books, we see only the best of the best pieces extant, while the real 'work-horses' stay off the pages. This is such a work-horse. Blade is a respectable 86 cm.
The hilt is evocative of nimchas, but with the bird's head pommel, and a simpler guard.
If you have you seen similar examples in your books, please pitch in.
Attached Images

Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 05:23 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

What a sturdy work horse . The guy who handled it was no midget . Indeed a piece worthy to collect .
BTW, how long is the blade?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Dmitry

In case someone missed this article -
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=buttin
Old 8th September 2010, 09:28 PM   #4
RSWORD

This is an Arabian Saif, probably of the 18th century, possibly earlier. I'm sure I can dig up some comparable examples in my references but am away from home at the moment.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 02:55 AM   #5
Ron Anderson

This does look like a Nimcha/Saif.

I would be very surprised if this was European. The handle looks like it is made of horn.

Not that Europeans didn't use horn, of course, but this horn looks like it might be something like Rhino or Giraffe horn.

The blade reminds of me of blades I've seen on Oman Kattaras. I understand these were often old German blades.

Could be wrong about the kind of horn but it certainly does remind of other Arabian Gulf or North African types of hilts.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 04:42 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Default a ponderous piece

A ponerdous piece, something I recently saw for sale....did you buy it?

Not Italian in my eyes at all, whilst 'work horse' examples' are sure to be found, I have rarely seen any Italian sword lacking in a certain 'flare' in consistancy and quality even in the 'users' not seen in high end books.

This to me is too much of a hybrid combination of parts that points to East Africa under Arabian influnce in my eyes. The blade appears far to robust and large for an Oman Kattara, to my eyes a Kaskara blade.

I will ponder some more.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 06:02 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The article by North truly was a significant reference to understanding more on the ancestry of the Maghrebi sa'if, often referred to as the nimcha or Moroccan sa'if. This weapon reminds me of various 'working weapons' which were indeed put together in the weapons trade out of Zanzibar, the same rugged type workmanship using components, in this case a native kaskara blade.
Numbers of these swords included what was known as the 'Zanzibar' type nimcha ( Buttin) with the crossguard loop, and others with karabela type hilts, as well as this fabricated horn grip. It seems these were typically 19th century often using older components and blades, and most were sent into Yemen, where a wide array of these kinds of swords emerged. Also found in these regions were Ethiopian blades of straight broadsword style.

You're right Dmitry, the Boccia & Coelho book is a magnificent reference to classical styles which seem to have influenced many sword types, in particular in North Africa reflecting the long tradition of trade between North Italy and there. An outstanding book that does show us the 'workhorses' and everyday weapons really used is Tirri, an excellent collectors guidebook to the kinds of everyday weapons that often do turn up unexpectedly in sales and auctions.

A sturdy and most interesting example of the working weapons of Arabia in mid to latter 19th century into the early 20th, often rugged composites in times of high adventure from East Africa, the Red Sea and Yemen.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Dmitry

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
A ponerdous piece, something I recently saw for sale....did you buy it?
It was in one of the US auctions recently. I didn't bid on it, just saved the photos. It was mislabeled as a European 18th century sword.

Indeed, Jim! Stylistically, I think it's right out of 16th c. North Italian/Venetian vernacular.
Old 9th September 2010, 11:16 PM   #9
stephen wood

...very interesting. Does look like a kaskara blade and the crossguard has the X.

By the way, Anthony North was at this month's Arms and Armour Society meeting - he was presented with the Society's Medal.

Last edited by stephen wood; 10th September 2010 at 01:07 AM.
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote